1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball rules question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'll post this in this section of the board even though it's not for a story and just for my own knowledge because I know this is where most of the rules questions are posed. I'm sure I could look this up, but some of you have encyclopedic knowledge of the rule books so I'll save myself the effort :p

When a basketball goes over the backboard, but does not touch any wires, shot clock, etc. and comes down on the other side in bounds, is it out of bounds? In case that's not clear, say for example someone takes a shot from the right wing and it hits the front of the rim and bounds high enough to clear the backboard going over on the left side is it that out of bounds? I feel like this interpretation changes depending on where you play, so I was looking for a definite answer.
    And if it is out of bounds as soon as it goes over the backboard, what if it manages to just bounce along the top and falls off to the side w/o going over, is that out?

I know these seem very random, but they happen more than you'd think in pick-up and it invariably leads to a dispute. Any insight is appreciated.

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

If it goes over or touches the top of the backboard, it's OB.

3. boots

boots New Member

I recall Jordan shooting and hitting one from behind the baackboard in the right corner. And I was there the day Dr. J went baseline on the Lakers. I really didn't know how great of a move it was until I got home. It was the fuckin Doc man. I still get a hard on thinking about that play.

4. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

If it touches the top of the backboard -- but no wires, shot clock, etc. -- and comes back into the court without going over the backboard, it's inbounds.

If it goes over, it is out. One of the most misunderstood rules in basketball.

5. Boobie Miles

So if it toches the top and either somehow falls down in front of the hoop obviously that'd be inbounds, so does the same go if it rolls along the top and drops off the side? Again I know very random but it does happen once in a while.

The going over the top happens a lot and almost every time there is a different decision and always some sort of argument.

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It has to go behind the backboard for it to be out. Even if it comes down in bounds. Once it goes over, it's out.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

It can hit the top of the backboard and drop in. But it can't go over the backboard.

In college basketball in the 50s, Bill Russell used to work a play where somebody would throw the ball over the backboard from behind, and Russell would jump up and put it in the basket. The play was outlawed by the next season.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not that you see them much anymore, but the rules say a ball going over one of the rounded backboards is not out of bounds unless it touches a pole, wire or something attached.

IIRC

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_8.html

10. Boobie Miles

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Remember Bird's shot from behind the backboard which came over and swished through. I know that has nothing to do with the touching the shotclock, but can you still legally take that shot (if it was legal when he took it)?

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Idaho posted what I was going to. The over the backboard rule only applies to rectangular backboards, of course I haven't seen a fan-shaped board used in an official game in at least a decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted