1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball. On a boat.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BDC99, Nov 9, 2012.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Seems like it's not a very good idea. At least this time of year. UF-G-town canceled at half. Syracuse postponed already, and another in Charleston canceled. Guessing we won't be seeing much of this in the future.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

the problem is the night air. Play them on a Saturday afternoon, it would work great.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Condensation coming off the ocean? Who woulda thunk it? Probably would work during the day, but I think it might be the time of year, with the wind and cool air.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It sounds like an awesome idea -- until you really start thinking about the logistics.

I just hope I get to see Syracuse on Sunday when I'm off. I wish I could be there but it's across the country and the cheapest tickets were $500. Soooooo that counts me out.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Stupid made-for-TV schtick. Already done last year. Let's play Army-Navy football on a boat.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It also helps when you play it in San Diego, with the dry air, like they did last year. Play it in the Southeast and odds are considerably better that you're gonna get some precipitation/condensation issues.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Put the back of the end zone right up against the end of the runway on a carrier. It could rival the brick wall at Wrigley for Illinois-Northwestern for bragging rights as sports' biggest hazard.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

These type of games are not going away. Every story I've read tonight, on the cancellation in Charleston and Mayport, is that they're going to schedule them again next year. That was coming from city officials, the schools and the Navy.

9. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

You know where I like basketball games? In a gym or arena. This boat stuff has to go.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Marquette coach Buzz Williams, right, joins military personnel and volunteers as they wipe off condensation on the basketball court before the start of the game between Ohio State and Marquette in the Carrier Classic on Friday night. The game was later cancelled.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

... and the Lakers fired their coach, stealing all the thunder from the NCAA's first night, camouflage jerseys and games on boats.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Did they forget their nautical-themed pashmina afghans?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted