1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball gamer

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by bballscribe, Dec 28, 2006.

1. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

A recent bball gamer I did. Again, I'm still relatively new to the industry (going on 13 months) so any critique would be very much appreciated.

===============
    Bob Knight may have temperamental issues but there is no questioning his eye for talent.

The Cy-Falls Golden Eagles discovered that Monday night when prized Texas Tech recruit Mike Singletary scored 16 points and controlled the game with his interior presence and led the way to a 67-48 victory for his Kingwood Mustangs.

"He's a horse inside," Eagles coach Jim Draudt said . "He takes up so much space. He has great hands and he can finish, but he can also step outside and shoot the ball so it's just tough to guard him."

Before a raucous home crowd, Cy-Falls (14-4) was determined to keep its 43-game home winning streak alive against an undefeated Mustangs (16-0)club.

But as Kingwood started the game with a precise effort to get the ball inside, the Eagles were left trying to find any counter-attack offensively.

Cy-Falls missed its first eight shots of the game, and shot 0-for-5 from 3-point range en route to an 18-6 first quarter deficit.

"We came out and missed our first eight or nine shots," Draudt said. "Against a team like Kingwood, you just can't do that. They hammered us inside. We knew that was going to be the problem coming in but we could do nothing about it."

The Eagles could never sustain enough defensive presence to mount a rally.

Behind Singletary's swift inside baskets, Kingwood displayed sharp outside shooting as reserve wing Nick James connected on 2 of 5 3-pointers.

Cy-Falls never lost its aggressiveness, though, grabbing 13 offensive rebounds and forcing 16 Mustang turnovers but its ineptness on the offensive end was not enough to overcome Kingwood's efficiency.

"We played hard but we just didn't play smart," Draudt said. "When we got behind, we panicked and just started doing things off one pass or off the dribble and that played right into their hands."

Eagles guards Devin Gibson (nine points) and Issac Richardson (three point) were never able to find a shooting rhythm, combining for just 1 of 9 shooting from 3-point range, and 1 of 8 from the free-throw line.

As a team, Cy-Falls managed just 23 percent shooting from the outside (5 of 22) and 27 percent marksmanship (3 of 11) from the free-throw line.

"This is the first time we've lost in quite awhile here at home so we were frustrated and down," Draudt said. "But, this was still just a practice game. It's not a district game so I was proud of our effort but we still have a lot more room for improvement."

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just from a quick first glance ... wouldn't the undefeated team have found that out about the prized T-Tech recruit? Cy-Falls teammates already know that about him.

3. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

Well, they're in separate districts and have never played Kingwood before. So they may have heard that he had signed, but hasn't seen him play in person. I probably should have been more clear. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

bball, my bad. I read it wrong. I thought the recruit played for Cy-Falls. That's how I read it until I re-read it 3 more times and figured out he plays for Kingwood.

Draft saved Draft deleted