1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball coach gets ejected; then arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Basketball coach for a 6th grade girls team gets arrested as a result of his (mis)behavior at a game.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/february172008/coach_arrest_2-17-08.php

I'll leave the Bobby Knight jokes to someone else...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. rube

rube Active Member

Gotta love those heated sixth-grade girls hoops tilts. What was the final score, 9-3?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Dude Skateboarding Cop's brother.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It took me 10 fucking minutes to read that confusing glob of column inches. How many fucking names were written before we even get the coaches name?

Ok, was this AAU or school related? Why is it played at a high school gym? Is this guy a teacher? Why was a teenager reffing the game?

A better link, IMHO.

http://www.estacadanews.com/news/story.php?story_id=120328504677492500

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

On a related note:

From: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/53049/

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In my youth league basketball coaching experience (topping out right now in a fifth-sixth grade coed league), I have explicitly benched players only twice for conduct on the floor. One was in a no-score, 6-7 year-old league, because the kid was a clear and intentional ball hog. The second, just the other day, was a player who yelled two straight times shooting that he had been fouled, and waved his arms at the ref. I explained calmly to this young chap the definition of a foul -- whatever the ref says it is. I also explained that he should worry about playing the game, not reffing it. This is way too early to develop the habit of being a prima donna toward the refs, especially because at this level the game is reffed differently because there's a greater emphasis on learning the game (in theory) than who wins.

There are a few coaching bench jockeys in my league, but the worst is... a guy who works as a high school and college ref. I guess from that position, you're either extremely respectful, or extremely critical. Thing is, the guy is really nice, but it's just too easy to get caught up in the competition, I guess.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Hopefully he never sees another basketball game in his life. Anybody else think it was interesting the paper included the ref's GPA in the story? Would they have done it if it was a 2.0?

9. statrat

statrat Member

Canzano weighs in and puts youth sports parents on blast:

http://tinyurl.com/223ht6

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be about Bruce Pearl ...

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I want to echo the question: Why was a 17-year-old calling this game?

When I started calling games at that age, I wasn't allowed to do anything older than u-10. You're too inexperienced with dealing with these situations to have 12 or 13 year-olds. Just the way it is.

Not that it makes the coach's actions justifiable, but damn.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I started being a soccer referee at age 12. By the time I was 13, I was a linesman for U-16 games.

Perhaps this 17-year old kid was thought of as a fine referee and giving him a 6th grade girls game wasn't considered a big deal. If a 17-year old can't handle a 6th grade girls game, what level should he/she be doing?

Draft saved Draft deleted