1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basic fact checking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 7, 2015.

1. How hard would it have been to check?

White House chef publishes book with salacious details of presidential doings over his 30 years of service as a chef ... Except there's NO record of the guy having worked at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

White House 'chef' dishes big secrets (and a crazy surprise) | Fox News

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think "sounds like it could be true" is enough to publish these days.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hillary's emails would confirm everything this guy said, if only we could find them.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I remember getting into a pretty lengthy argument here with people who said editing isn't necessary because readers don't care about mistakes.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

This is such a great story.

I got to know Walter Scheib, who was the chef hired by Hillary Clinton and fired by Laura Bush (who promotedhis no. 2, and she still holds the job). He had no patience for people like Robert Irvine who loosely said things like they were chefs at the White House when they were essentially consultants for the Navy Mess, which feeds people in the West Wing.

The only thing funnier than all of this would be to hear how he would react. Sadly, he died over the summer. Accidental drowning while hiking.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

One of the few positive reviews at Amazon.com:

In my time working for NBC, I have been able to see many wonderful things in this world but nothing could compare to the delicious food prepared by Ronnie Seaton. I can personally attest that I saw him at the White House on many occasions. I do not think we should defame this man, but rather celebrate his legacy and what he has meant to the nation as the White House Chef. - Sincerely, Brian Williams.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is awesome.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fixed - Also helps if you have a regular daily radio or TV show to hype it.

Draft saved Draft deleted