1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Worst MVP Choices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by carson08, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rollins and Wright were worthy winners. One won, one didn't. Williams lost on a close call in 1941, but how about 1947, when he won the TRIPLE CROWN and lost to DiMaggio because one Boston voter left him off his ballot? Tough to beat that in the injustice department.
    PS: The idea of evaluating an MVP by team record is a knee-jerk stupidity. If it's a close contest, yes, it's a factor, but a minor one. Otherwise, no. People forget that a lousy team can always be worse. Steve Carlton was 27-10 for the 1972 Phillies who were 59-103. Take away Carlton, they were a .250 team. Value is value even if it means lifting a club to plain old lousy out of its inherent destiny of historic suckitude.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I agree with this - Dawson was the MVP the year he won it.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Gibson over Straw was ridiculous and makes me wonder about things, as did Yount over Sierra.

Pendleton over Bonds was the king in my lifetime, though.

4. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

If we're talking 1996 AL MVP, should A-Rod have also been in the argument?

.358 36 HR, 123 RBI, .414 on base, .631 slugging. Granted the M's weren't a playoff team, but those a pretty damn good numbers out a position that also puts a lot more of a premium on defense

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

You're right. Sportswriters measure those things instead, usually by voting for the guy they watched the most or who was friendliest in post-game interviews.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Speaking of low-OBP MVPs: Dawson's was .328 the year he won. At least he wasn't a leadoff hitter like Rollins.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can't really argue with the first part, since that's human nature.

But you don't really believe the second part, do you? Cause as noted earlier, if that was the case, Kevin Millar, Sean Casey and Andy Van Slyke would have several MVPs apiece. Yet Barry Bonds has seven of 'em. Kinda blows a hole in that theory, right?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That might be in blue font, BYH.

10. carson08

carson08 New Member

The whole team chemistry thing is overrated, The Giants made it all the way to the World Series with Bonds and Kent. While I do believe Bonds isn't as bad as he's potrayed, he's not exactly a guy you'd say has a team lifting attitude. But yes, writers shouldn't be the voters. They're bias and hold grudges against players. A Canadian writer admitted to not voting Gary Carter into the hall because he wasn't "friendly" to him. Right there you show you have no right in voting.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The only reason Strawberry lost the MVP in 1988 was because Keith Hernandez told anyone who would listen than Kevin McReynolds was the more deserving candidate.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gary "red light" Carter not friendly to a writer? that's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

this thread is now officially full of--wait for it!!--fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted