1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Worst MVP Choices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by carson08, Apr 29, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Is there a chart comparing what people believe Bonds did vs. what he actually did? I'd like to see that.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I was 8 and damn near cried when Trammell didn't win.

Still my favorite player in history.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Like Kirk Gibson in 1988, Rollin last year did more than just numbers.

He was a good MVP choice. You cannot give it to one of the choking Mets.

And: Ripken in 1991 was terrible. I don't care what the numbers were; give him the Silver Slugger, NOT the MVP for leading a crappy team.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The year Ted Williams hit .406, he was beaten out for MVP by DiMaggio. Was Williams screwed out of the award? And yes, I am aware it is the same season that DiMaggio compiled his 56 game hit streak.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fanboi rant:

You can't mention Morneau without making an argument about why someone else deserved it more.

6. carson08

carson08 New Member

Haha I'm a Braves fan, so saying Wright deserved isn't that easy. I already explained my thoughts on a team record. So they way I see it:

Hitting: Huge advantage Wright
    Defence: Small advantage Rollins
    SB's: Small advantage Rollins

Hitting is the most important part of the game for non pitchers and SB's are an overrated stat to begin with. So I really see no competition.

And what do you mean by what "Bonds really did?"? Are you bringing up steroid allegations. Please. That's an old, tiresome argument that will never be solved.

7. carson08

carson08 New Member

[/quote]
    I'd say yes. Although Williams did miss 20 games and Joe D obviously has a huge advantage on the field. I still would have voted Williams.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The MVP should always be a guy who leads his team to the heights. What's valuable about a dude who puts up pretty numbers on a shit team?

When you have years like 1988, where Gibson clearly transformed that Dodger team, or 1993, when Bonds did the same for the Giants (and some would say Pendleton did for the Braves in 1991), I don't see how you can act like team record isn't important.

carson, are you just posting these things because you're trying to put off your day of dishes duty at the frat house?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This guy has one more MVP than Manny and Kirby combined.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No, my question was about your statement that Bonds had a better season than people believe he did. What did people believe, exactly, and how does it compare to reality?

11. carson08

carson08 New Member

I fail to see how one player uplift his team. There's the protection agrument, that's not for certain. If we're talking basketball, then yes. In basketball someone can control the ball the whole time. They can guard the other team's best player. In baseball you can't. You have to wait your turn to bat. You can't catch every ball that's hit in play (unless your Andruw Jones in his prime). Sure there's the whole "team chemstry" thing. But if that's the case then Kevin Millar should be an 8 time MVP.

12. carson08

carson08 New Member

Oh, well I can't speak for everyone but Bonds didn't seem to get any recongition for his year last season. He should have been MVP at the break but no one was talking about that. He was one of the top hitters in the league last year. Maybe people were talking about and I just didn't hear them.

Draft saved Draft deleted