1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's perfect financial setup vs. the dreaded NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'll do this slowly:

The difference between being historically good in the MLB and historically bad is a mere 30 winning-percentage points.

The game fosters anomaly.

Also, the NL's payroll expenditure as a whole (less than $75 million per team on average in 2007) is worlds less than the AL and its $93 million per team.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Again, it isn't whether you can get lucky one year with extremely young, pre-free-agency players.

The system grabs hold in a few years.

Will these teams you reference be able to keep their players?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So what? I just showed you that payroll is an overstated advantage. Otherwise you'd have teams like Baltimore and San Francisco, which checked in at 10 and 11 on the highest payroll list, much more competitive than they were and have been for the past few years. They've tried to spend their way into contention and it hasn't worked.

The teams I listed didn't spend their way into contention. They did it the right way. It's not an anomoly either. They've built themselves a good foundation for continued contention much like the Twins and the A's did for several years prior. Those aren't flukes. That's smarts.

In the NFL, the Browns had one of the highest amounts of incoming revenue and yet they sucked for years and years before this one. If you think everyone deserves a chance to win, the NFL pretty much makes sure you can do that unless you're a total fuckup, much like Arizona and Detroit have been. In baseball, good decisions are rewarded, and bad ones aren't.

And btw, historically Cleveland, Colorado, and Arizona have all been big spenders. There's little reason that they can't keep what they have. But the great sham of free agency is that teams overpay for players on the downsides of their career, more often than not. In many cases it's better to cut bait and go cheaper.

I'm not saying one system is better than the other. But baseball's isn't as bad as you make it out to be, and it's comparing apples to oranges. I'm starting to think you're Wayne Huizenga or something.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Spending a lot doesn't ensure any success over the long term if you have a moron doing the spending.

Not being able to spend ensures minimal success over the long run.

You getting the concept?

5. Flying Headbutt

So then you're agreeing with me that making smart decisions is the most important part of success and that your payroll argument is not standing up? I've already told you that the Pirates can spend, they just choose not to. That's a fact.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Teams in the top five slots in the 2007 payroll figures have represented the AL in the WS 10 of the past 12 years.

7. Flying Headbutt

How is that different from the Patriots going four times since 2002 or whatever it is?

8. Simon_Cowbell

The Pirates cannot spend within their business model and turn a profit.

Or, better, you tell me how much they can spend to get you believing they would be "breaking even".

Smart decision-making and ZERO injuries to embryonic MLB players is the most important combo required for 75 percent of the teams in the majors to have a chance to win any year.

And even so, those teams LOSE THEIR PLAYERS after a few years purely because of the pay system. Right?

If you have injuries, you had better have a payroll above $100M so you can cover them up and do a lot of praying.

9. Simon_Cowbell

You have the NFL payroll figures?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'll do it even more slowly.

Less

games

in

NFL

equals

more

parity.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Fewer, not less.

And, fewer games means MORE parity?

zeke might want to have a mathematical word with you. This week he has been learning about regression to a mean.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Listen... you are probably a nice guy, but forgive me if I don't trust your omniscience.

List the NFL payrolls, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.