1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's perfect financial setup vs. the dreaded NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Them's some rosy glasses.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dude, I don't get this. Why does this throw you into such a rage? Why do you have to get so angry and violent and profane after we've swapped cordial PMs and had some fun witih the Beckett thing? Why does this deserve the c-and-p treatment on this thread?

I think I'm right. I think my information backs my case up. I thikn the last seven or eight years proves that baseball is more balanced than football. You obviously feel differently. I'm sure there are many people who agree with you. So be it.

I know I've said and flung some crappy things in these debates. That being said, I don't get how you can't agree to disagree.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Your "information" doesn't back up your case.

The reason I am aggressive on the subject is I think that the baseball system will eventually bring the sport to its knees as payrolls continue to skyrocket.

It kills you that my points made have left you Michael Spinks-like in this discussion.

You would never, ever be so conciliatory if you thought you had the goods.

It's an extremely important discussion. I make no apologies for my being so assertive with the facts.

I created this thread only so that, if the discussion persisted, it wouldn't clog the Stove thread.

But I'm happy as a clam to let it die, knowing that, based on my unpopularity here, the silence in the discussion by many prominent posters who usually are engaged in such talks has been very telling.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's nice. My "information" doesn't jibe with YOUR information, so therefore it must not back up MY case.

Yeah. Seven different champs this decade...wide-spread parity allowing the majority of teams to hit September still playing meaningful games...the Yankees and Red Sox forking over milliongs per year in revenue sharing...the Royals signing Gil Meche to a five-year, $55 million deal. You're right. Baseball is on its knees, blindfolded and shitting its pants, as it waits for the executioner to fire the fatal shot.

Care to make this a poll, as you did a while back? Didn't think so.

C'mon dude. Do you REALLY want to dig thru the site and find me flinging fuck yous at you over this very topic? Because they're all over the place. I am conciliatory b/c I'm tired of this always turning to a fuck you fest, b/c I like bantering with you on other topics and b/c I'd like to keep this free of that stuff. If you were, uhh, someone else who has chimed in on this topic, it would be different.

Fair enough. you are passionate about your side, I am passionate about mine. You can be assertive in your argument without the personal/profane attacks.

I have no idea what that last sentence means. We've had this discussion a lot, and everytime the tide of public opinion seems to shift my way, you pull out the popularity card. Might it be as simple as more people agree with me than with you? If I'm leading my followers to the Kool-Aid, let me know, because I don't even have a pitcher or plastic cups.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I wonder who that somebody else is.

I agree that it should have its own thread, just to avoid the potentially nasty threadjacks elsewhere.

And to address buckweaver's point above regarding the Arizona Cardinals and the Pirates, yes it would help tremendously if both teams started making better decisions.

But if such a miraculous change were to take place, the Cardinals would be in a much better position to contend because they already have the same resources as every team they compete with in terms of roster-building resources. The Pirates would still be at a disadvantage to the franchises that have more revenue coming in.

6. Simon_Cowbell

The Cardinals will be favored to win their division in 2008.... will the Pirates?

7. Simon_Cowbell

I just thought that sports was the arena where a level playing field was supposed to exist, and from there one determines the best athletes and teams.

You, BYH, wouldn't have a problem with an Olympic 100-meter race, where 7 runners had 100 meters to run, and an eighth had only 90?

You want to guess what how much the 2003 Marlins will be paid next year. $150 million? $170 million? $200 million?

The team not being able to keep its players was a travesty. And it was wholly because of the baseball system.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Cardinals have drafted guys like Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, and others who have been good players and contribute in a division that is dreadfully bad.

The Pirates have not drafted well even when given advantageous draft position, have not signed free agents who can help, and prefer to pocket money that would otherwise be spent on improving the team. The entire organization, including the minor leagues and scouting, has been a shame the last few years. Player development isn't something the NFL typically has to worry about. They use the NCAA for that. The Pirates have that additional worry, and thus, one more thing to fuck up by being a bad organization.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Let's play twist the stats to fit your argument! My turn:

The reason football has so much turnover is teams only play 16 games. Therefore, a one- or two-game swing changes everything. Baseball, not so much; you have to be good for a damn long time to make the playoffs.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Guess what?

When you are tight on finances, the first thing that gets socked is scouting.

The seamheads are about to lose the one whipping boy the NFL has to offer... funny, the ownership didn't change.

11. Flying Headbutt

If that's the case, how come teams like Colorado and Cleveland, with payrolls in the bottom third of the league, did so well? Hell, Arizona is also at the bottom of the league in payroll.

The teams that slash scouting are the dumb ones. It isn't like the Pirates don't have the money for it, they just didn't spend it. They used a top-10 pick on a pitcher who went 0-7 this year, after just finally making the big leagues. Of course, most every other team said that John Van Benschoten was a better hitter than pitcher, but who cares? They have the money. They just consciously choose not to spend it. And it only makes them look worse when you see other teams with comparable payrolls do substantially better.

12. Flying Headbutt

In fact, in terms of baseball payroll this year, you have, in order...

22 Kansas City
    23 San Diego
    24 Cleveland
    25 Colorado
    26 Arizona
    27 Pittsburgh

That's four teams who were either in the LCS, or one game away from the playoffs, ranked well in the bottom third. So it's possible to succeed if you spend your money wisely. The Pirates simply don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.