1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Most Overpaid Players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here's the list according to Fox Sports
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/pgStory?contentId=9643184&gt1=39002#sport=MLB&photo=9643044

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think Billy Wagner is making 10.5 million this season

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Jeter should be somewhere on that list, regardless of his numbers.
    And J.D. Drew as well.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Without Barry Zito, the list is bogus.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wagner is hurt. He shouldn't be on the list.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yeah, he should.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

The guy is hurt. How can you count him on the list?

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

As should Dontrelle Willis ($10,000,000 for whatever the fuck you call what he does), Nate Robertson ($7,000,000 for a mop-up man), Gary Sheffield ($14,000,000 eaten) and Jeremy Bonderman ($12,500,000 for nothing better than a 3rd man in the rotation). I won't even mention Magglio Ordonez and his two homers and 19 RBI making nearly $19,000,000.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

All of them.

10. statrat

statrat Member

I have never been much of one to actually hate a ballplayer. That said, I fucking loathe Carlos Fucking Silva.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They get paid millions to play a kid's game.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course FOX has to throw in the obligatory fellatio of a Yankee star.

Carping about athletes' salaries is such fucking bullshit, especially in a non-salary cap sport.

The owners are multi-billionaires.

They've got plenty of money, a great deal of it due to the fact that they're almost all playing in stadiums built for them basically free of charge by taxpayers.

What is the usual argument used by owners to sell the taxpayers on the need for a new stadium?

"We need to improve our revenue flow in order to remain competitive in the player market."

In English, of course, "we need to improve our revenue flow" means "I, the owner, want MORE MONEY IN MY POCKET."

The owners have plenty of money. Let 'em spend it.

Either they spend it on players, or they keep it (and no, player salaries have nothing to do -- except only in the most indirect way -- with ticket prices, beer and hot dog prices, parking prices, etc etc etc).

Draft saved Draft deleted