1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's "code"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't complain about the free pressbox food.
    Never use "It was a tale of two games" as a lede.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Or, "What a difference a (period of time) makes."

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Or describe a loss as a heartbreaker.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Back to baseball's "code," I learn something new every day.

The latest, according to Indians closer Chris Perez, is that it's "bush league" to bunt home the winning run in the bottom of the ninth.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/whine-of-the-day-chris-perez.html.php

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Dallas Braden is a punk. If he wanted to send a message, throw one at A-Rod's ass. Not throw a fit in the dugout.

A-Rod came off looking like a bouquet of roses.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's new to me.

It hasn't been mentioned here yet, but isn't one of the biggest that you don't try to break up a no-hitter by bunting for a base hit?

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That's reminds me of when an D'Back pitcher was going for a no-hitter and it was broken up by a bunt. Bob Brenly had a cow about it.

Memo to Chris Perez: you pitch, Kendrick did what he had to do to win the game for his team, you lost. STFU kid.

Whoever told Braden and Perez that these are bush-league plays probably has never played or managed above the Mexican league.

If no fan has heard of a specific "unwritten" rule before, then it's not an "unwritten" rule. It's not even a rule at all.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Whatever your take on what should be is irrelevant, because you aren't a major league baseball player. It's their world, and none of us really knows what it's like inside.

I have not seen anyone in baseball except those on the Yankee payroll who disputed Braden's point that A-Rod violated the etiquette of the game. Did Braden overreact? Probably.

Just don't say the rule doesn't exist because you haven't heard about it.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

That was Padres' catcher Ben Davis. He broke up Curt Schilling's perfect game with a bunt single (don't remember the inning). The rationale from the Padres' side was that it was just a 2-0 game and the hit put the tying run at the plate. I remember Schilling wasn't openly hostile about it (though he made some snide remarks), but Brenly after the game, and DBacks announcer Jim Traber right after the hit, were pretty steamed.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The bunt wasn't bush league. Bitching about it was.

If it's 8-0, yeah, maybe I can see where they have a gripe. But don't tell me that just because a pitcher is dominating you you have to roll over and stop trying to win. All hail Schilling! He's so good, we'll just hand him his perfect game. Utter horseshit.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, the only part of the code that pertains to pitchers is not throwing at someone's head.
    You'd think it would be considered "bush league" to throw breaking stuff at a guy who can't hit breaking stuff the way they whine about players trying to win or get on base.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cry me a fuckin' river!

Draft saved Draft deleted