1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's "code"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If it isn't explicitly prohibited it isn't against the rules.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Private Santiago is dead because he had no code, no honor. Just sayin'

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Am I to understand you won't be keepin' to The Code?"

Captain Jack Teague.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And God was watching.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

By the way, tonight in SF Aubrey Huff had to go back to first from third after a foul ball. He clearly went the long way around the mound.

Of course, A-Rod would have gone around too if it would have been Roy Halladay.

6. Not walking over the mound really isn't any different than the unwritten rules in any other sport. Just like in basketball, you aren't supposed to walk right by or into the other team's huddle. I don't think that rule is written down either, but it's understood that if you go over there, you're going to get your ass kicked. The pitcher's got to have an attitude when he's pitching, and part of that attitude should be, 'This is my mound.'

Of course, if I was Braden I would have just drilled A-Rod in the rib cage his next at-bat. Don't make a scene, not even a warning. Just bury one in his ribs and let your first baseman explain it to him once he catches his breath.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What are the "unwritten rules" of SportsJournalists.com? Or sports journalism in general?

8. novelist_wannabe

No outing. No dissing the Twins or Vikings for risk of being sent to your room. No political threads. Oh, wait, that one's in writing.

No cheering in the press box. No shoehorning in on someone's interview. No drinking the kool-aid.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll throw in a couple. Never be the first reply on a thread you started. Never use another person's avatar unless it's as a show of respect or support during a personal or professional crisis. Double-check your links before and after you post them.

on the journo side - don't act like you're the only one with a tight deadline - don't trash colleagues to those at other news orgs when you are on the clock/assignment. Realize that there have been thousands of journos before you and at least hundreds coming after you - act like a professional. Treat people with respect and remember - it's not about YOU.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that the mound thing is covered in the unwritten code: Section 4, Chapter 7, subsection 13, paragraph B.

11. novelist_wannabe

I totally forgot that part of the line. Good catch.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't lose your credential.

Draft saved Draft deleted