1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Code of Retribution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tapintoamerica, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Thanks GB and 2MCM and TSP.

How I missed this is beyond me. Probably because I watched hockey, yes hockey, Wednesday night.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Some serious D_Biation going on around here. :D

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

C'mon, everyone was supposed to line up and answer Pete's question in a different way!

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I get the feeling the Ramirez-Youkilis fireworks had something to do with action or inaction in that brawl.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'd say Crisp comes out looking wrong in both situations. I don't think the takeout slide (on a steal) was warranted and if you follow the "unwritten rules" you know you're going to get it. If you get one head-high I can understand getting fired up, but why would you charge when you get it knee-high? My biggest problem with the actual brawl is that Gomes comes flying in and then throws a bunch of limp-wristed punches on a defenseless Crisp.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Perfect analysis.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But as we learnt from the Spring Training brawl with the Yankees, that's what Gomes does already.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Crisp charged the mound. He deserves what happens to him. The funny thing is that he was made vulnerable to the three Rays players because of the way he avoided the punch.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh come on! He also strikes out!

(A lot.)

(In fact, he has more K's than hits this every year.)

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I didn't say it was wrong for Gomes to throw the shots. My problem was with how weak they were. For a guy who barreled in like he was going to do some damage, those looked like something my sister would throw.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Crisp had it coming. Now that he's charged the mound, he has it coming again. And if he is in the lineup the next time they meet, the next pitch will be up, too, not at the knees.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The umpires failed in that situation because they should have put the kibosh on that.

You warn both teams before the game that if anyone even comes remotely close to throwing AT somebody, both the pitcher and manager are gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted