1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Writer / Editor, The Japan Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by japantimes, Nov 14, 2006.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No doubt this is a unique opportunity. But I'd have to think knowledge of the Japanese language would be more than a "big plus"-- more like essential. I wouldn't want to live over there without at least some day-to-day words....like "day-to-day" to describe any baseball player's minor injury.

2. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Drifting is another "big plus." Your American muscle is no good there.

3. giornalista

giornalista New Member

Baseball is the most popular Japanese sport and has been for decades. This job appears to be a super showcase for an ambitious, talented writer, someone who appreciates the historical significance of Matsuzaka as much as the Mendoza Line. And, hey, not everyone is going to be a Yankees' beat reporter, but Nippon pro ball is pretty darn good, too.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Is the JT adding another baseball writer, or is the Stephen Ellsesser era over? Too bad if he's leaving -- I enjoyed his work.

If this were James Mulligan's gig, and not the baseball beat, I'd jump at the opportunity.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Great. Freakin'. Post.

I'm laughing so hard, I can barely type the keys.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I know someone who works at the Japan Times. PM me with any questions and I'll forward them along to him.

7. journoinjapan

journoinjapan New Member

I hear they are still taking resumes for this job. Good opportunity for somebody willing to make the move. With the popularity of Japanese baseball, there's always the chance to get some good freelance work from the U.S. in addition to your beat coverage...

8. journoinjapan

journoinjapan New Member

Also, Stephen Ellsesser was at the World Baseball Classic earlier this year and James Mulligan was at the soccer World Cup so there are opportunities to cover the big events....maybe not all the time but a perk every now and then.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The language thing ... of course, it's a big deal. But how big of a deal? With the exception of hoops, I doubt there are many of us fluent in Japanese.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

This. Was. Awesome.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

shit -- i was never fluent. at one point i was merely infantile -- even after two years in japan and two years of japanese in college. now, well, now i may be able to ask where the bathroom is, but i sure as hell won't understand the answer

12. japantimes

japantimes New Member

You do not have to be able to speak Japanese for this position. It is just an added plus if you do, but not a prerequisite. If you feel you are qualified, please do not hesitate to apply.

Draft saved Draft deleted