1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Writer / Editor, The Japan Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by japantimes, Nov 14, 2006.

1. japantimes

japantimes New Member

Looking for the experience of a lifetime?

The Japan Times is seeking a baseball writer with the ability to edit and design sports pages to join our sports desk in Tokyo.

With Japan winning the inaugural World Baseball Classic, and continuing to send top players to the major leagues each year, this is a choice beat at the nation’s highest circulation English-language daily.

Searching for a team player who can quickly adapt to a new country and culture. Must know North American sports well. Familiarity with Japanese sports a major asset.

We are in the market for an aggressive person who has some experience covering college baseball or the major leagues, and can develop sources, break news, and do enterprise reporting. Four of the 12 pro teams in Japan are now managed by Americans.

Night and weekend work exclusively. College degree in sports journalism desirable. Japanese language ability a big plus.

Please submit resume and work samples via e-mail to:

Jack Gallagher
    Sports Editor

jack@japantimes.co.jp

No telephone inquiries.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Interesting job for someone willing to pack up and move across the world.

That being said, and not to jack the beginning of a thread, but I wish I had saved Tron's Japanese baseball gamer post from the last time a job opened here. I searched, but couldn't remember any phrases from it.

Anyone remember it? Probably my favorite post of his, ever.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

well, crap... an opening at just the wrong time

christ, it's like it was written just for me. damn it.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. In another life, I would jump on this.

Experience of a lifetime is right. Good luck to whoever gets it.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

In your other life .... You're Hired!

6. Tron

Tron Active Member

From jjobs...

Looking for Super Baseball Experience? The Japan Times is currently looking for Great Baseball Writer to make fill in for fun baseball coverage! Ideal candidate will have mastery of AP style, baseball and the ha-do-ken fireball technique. We offer benefits including health, dental and throwing star. We also give 50 experience points for every year of employment, with extra bonus for finishing move on Giant Gila Monster. We are locate in Japan, where Super Star Cat Strike Force protect people from Evil Panda Expiriment, and all people run play happy with many office furnishings! We have won great awards from AP, World Baseball Writer's Association and Konami. Interest? Then send in clips as well as proof of effective Ninja Gaiden ice technique. HURRY UP AND BUY!!!!

[​IMG]

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wonder how high up the food chain someone must be to get this gig. I'm guessing being a backup on a pro beat wouldn't hurt.

8. busuncle

busuncle Member

I don't know about that. The job involves page design, which would certainly limit its appeal to some.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

let's hear some japanese, hoops.
    I think Kyle Veazey or Ryan Sonner would be perfect for this gig.

10. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Ryan Sonner could kick Godzilla's ass.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

my favorite japanese word is bakayaro

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I remember the post. It was very clever and made me laugh. One of the funnier things I have seen on here. Didn't save it because I don't save things from here, but I kind of wish someone could repost it.

Draft saved Draft deleted