1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Umpire Etiquette

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So; we're in Wichita last night watching the Wingnuts play Gary, Ind.

6th inning, runner on 1st. Gary batting.

Pitcher and catcher apparently got their signs mixed up, because the catcher (I guess) was thinking something up and away, and the pitcher throws a 83 MPH change-up inner half.....swing and miss, no contact......well, there was contact because it caught the homeplate umpire square in the sack.

I MEAN FLUSH.

We were 6 rows off the field, and I jammed my knees shut.

But what got me was both field umpires just stood there and never moved.

No hat over the heart, no coming up to check on him.....nada.

My crew, if an ump takes one, the hat comes off and over the heart, IMMEDIATELY.

BTW--If you're ever in Wichita, and wanna take in a game, I highly HIGHLY recommend a Wingnuts game.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Actually had this happen last weekend. My partner took one in the throat and immediately went down.

I did rush in to make sure he was alive. Then headed to the car to change.

Taking on in the mask, however is not a reason to rush in. It happens all the time.

And I'm sure they did check with him at some point afterwards through signals to see if he was ok.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The count is now two balls, one strike.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He didn't say mask, bd. Read again.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Dyslexic moment.

Well, I hope he had his cup on.

Maybe his crew doesn't like him?

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

That happens at every Wingnuts game.

7. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

As a former umpire I don't think there is a need to run in and check. You gotta be tough.
    Now if he is down for more than 10 seconds you should mosey over to make sure he's alive.

Whenever I got hit, I appreciated if the catcher went to the mound for a long visit to give me some time to get my wind back, instead of turning around and staring at me.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Or have your bases ump(s) go and clear the dirt off the mound.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Precisely.

A good catcher will go out and tell his pitcher to look at the chick with the huge tits in Section AA.

To the umps credit, he never went down to the ground.

State Baseball tournament here a couple months ago, I went 4 straight games taking a shot somewhere.....none in the jewels (Thank God).......elbow (that hurt the worst......sumamabitch that hurt.....but to this day, I have no idea how I got hit there....).....hand.....shoulder.......wherever........

I kept telling my partners that I was gonna kill them if they kept painting a fucking bullseye on me.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They probably didn't check on him because they were too busy laughing about the fact he got hit in the nuts.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Maybe they hate the guy who got hit? Not all crews are harmonious.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Took on in the old satchel once. Not a pretty sight.

Draft saved Draft deleted