1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread VI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Byrd took a gamble and let a single become a triple. Hill didn't pitch as poorly as it looked. Not like last week in Boston where Big Papi made Hill his bitch.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stupid Byrd. I'm glad I cut him off my team.

I traded O'Conner. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Guy has gotten rocked all of once in 11 or 12 starts. Saw him throw the other day, he takes bad innings and minimizes the damage rather than vice versa like so many of the Nats' crew. He's pitched much better than his record.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would sure hope so. The way the Tigers have been pitching, there should be at least two starters there. Granted, Ozzie Guillen will do what he pleases, but that staff has been amazing.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A Twins fan and a Tigers fan have used this thread to exchange reasonably lighthearted banter about their two clubs' hot streaks. Imagine winning 15 of 17 and still being 8-9 games out of SECOND place.
    May I suggest that the NL East offers the opposite side of that equation. The Mets have been dreadful at Fenway. But if New York went out and LOST 16 of its next 18 games, how much would be shaved from its division lead? A game? A half-game? Would they gain ground?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Verlander and Rogers are probably the top two choices, but Bonderman could make a pretty good case as well.

Offensively, Ordonez should be on there, but who knows if Guillen will choose him, given their history. You could probably make a case for Granderson too.

7. fanboy

fanboy Member

That's the Mike Stanton Special.  He knows he has three total bases to play with when he comes in before it counts against him, and uses every one of them, inherited runners be damned.  Even his crappy 5 ERA doesn't tell how poorly he's pitched.  And still the senile bat of a manager sends him out there night after night after night.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That very well could be an accurate take. It'll be interesting to hear what Pedro says after the game.

Could be a combination of not being emotionally "right" and the fact he hasn't been sharp in his last 3-4 starts.

I was surprised. Pedro's a grand-stage kind of guy. I thought he'd rise to the occasion and play his part in a pitchers' duel.

Meh. Tis but one game in June, I guess.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Pirates....Bwhahaha..

BTW...The Pittsburgh baseball media is doing a hell of a job lately.  Just absolutely skull fucking the ownership.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

The Pirates. They were expected to take a step forward. Everyone assumed the Royals would still suck.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Bucs. I mean, they were swept by the Royals.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Relegation would be awesome. Let the AAA champion move up to the bigs for a season and drop the MLB's scum to AAA for a season and make them earn their ticket back. That would be sweet.

Or, have a season-ending series between the worst MLB team and best AAA team, the winner getting to play in the majors the following season.

Draft saved Draft deleted