1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread VI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 28, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Pedro gets a standing O walking from the bullpen to the dugout in Fenway!

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What about intangibles, like keeping an inning alive for the bigger stat guys to produce? Although the argument might not be as valid considering the Twins stunk it up to start the season.

But during this 15-1 streak, how many times in an inning, in which the Twins hadn't yet scored, did Mauer get a 2-out hit, which led to a run/runs?

Fisk hit home runs, sure, but he didn't hit over .300 after 1977. He hit 37 homers and had 107 RBI in 1985, but hit only .238 with a .488 slugging percentage. I'll give the guy this, though: he stole 17 bases that year. Amazing.

In 1975 he hit .331. His best overall year was 1977: .315 average with 26 homers and 279 total bases.

How does this relate to Mauer? No correlation yet. This is just the 1st half for Mauer. Let's see where he is at the end of July. If he's still hovering around .380, .390, .400, then I think it's a helluva story, regardless if his power numbers suck donkey cock.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Or Jamie Moyer, whose only discernible talent is that he knows how to pitch.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Lou, you're in Triple-A. You don't have room to talk smack on what could be a batting champion.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hey Zeke, the twins have a chance to gain a half game on the Tigers on Thursday. ;D

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's just good to see a new team play well every now and then, instead of the same teams all the time.

7. Songbird

It sure was great to see my Dodgers reduced to the role of butthole lickers in the Metrodome. Fucking pathetic.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Apparently, the Yankees aren't Pedro's daddy -- the Red Sox are. It's already 8-0 Boston in the third inning.

9. Songbird

I knew this would happen.

It's reminds me of Tyson v. Holyfield II. If you watched Tyson at the presser after the fight, Holyfield walked to the table and Tyson looked at him like a schoolgirl with a big crush. It was terribly eery for a huge Tyson fan like myself, even though I didn't approve of him biting off Holyfield's ear the first time.

All we've seen the last 2 days with Pedro in highlights is how enamored he is still with the Red Sox; how in love he remains with Fenway Park and everything Beantown. He didn't have the killer instinct tonight. It wasn't in his heart to beat the Boston Red Sox.

That's my take.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Verlander won his 10th today. He's lost once in his past nine or 10 starts.

A lock for the all-star team, no?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And while I'm rolling - I won't survive a full season watching Mike Stanton pitch.

12. Songbird

And while I'm rolling -- what the hell is wrong with Hill allowing 4 runs?

Draft saved Draft deleted