1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread VI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We're reaching 40 pages pretty fast these days.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Cleveland is on a two-game winning streak. Only 17 games out of first place!

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

So, how's Pedro going to react on the mound tonight in Boston?

His press conference was refreshing... not the usual "Oh, it's just another game" crap.

Seems like Pedro is going to be jacked up.... which could be good or bad. Either way, it's gonna be quite a happening tonight.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like there's much more discussion than one year ago.

For cranberry's sake, I just want to point out that the AL Central is 49-19 in interleague play, with the majority of those games against the NL Central. In fact, Detroit (12-2), Minnesota (12-2) and the White Sox (11-2) have only lost two games each, with two of those teams sweeping the Cardinals in the past week.

But I'm sure cranberry can still find a way to call a division with the two best teams in baseball overrated.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The Reds really have squandered a great opportunity to take over the NL (Comedy) Central.

But I like that Dunn is batting second in the lineup. He's great at drawing walks, and batting ahead of Griffey and Kearns should mean he'll get better pitches to hit.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Kerry who?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I care more about the Royals being a factor in the Yankees potentially missing the playoffs, which would be supremely satisfying, than I do about them winning 70 games ...
    Moving along ... here's how big a hole the Braves are in. If they turn it around and average winning two of every three, it will take them 36 games to reach .500, at 57-57. If they do that and the Mets play .500 ball over the same stretch, Atlanta would still be nine games out in the division race with 48 to play. If the Braves play .667 ball the rest of the season, they'd finish with 85 wins (and Cox should be bronzed) and would still finish six games back if the Mets go .500 the rest of the way. Not like I'm hoping against hope here, just wondering how big of a turnaround is realistic.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks for the crotch kick this morning, Zeke. Appreciate it. :D

I'll now await Liriano's torn rotator cuff. :p

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Kerry Wood could become our generation's Frank Tanana. I think he's a smart enough pitcher to transform himself.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have about had it with the freaking Angel management.

Send down Jared Weaver, he of the 4-0, 1.37 era and 1.00 WHIP in four starts. Why? because you have Bartolo Colon, who won a piece of hardware last year, can't throw past 92, and was getting shelled in AAA rehab. And Scioscia had the nerve to say that Jared had "a few things to work on" in the minor leagues. Couldn't find something creative to do with Big Mope Jeff Weaver, who got rocked again last night.

Watch Darin Erstad go 3-33 in a AAA rehab stint, only to bring him up and see him waste a roster spot on the big club before putting him back on the DL. Watch Howie Kendrick hit .390 in AAA for the season but refuse to bring him up because Adam Kennedy is entrenched in 2nd.

Continue to use Garret Anderson as a cleanup hitter when he is years removed from his usefulness.

Management has such a hard on for placating veterans it makes me sick.

11. fanboy

fanboy Member

Hey, the Nats were 51-30 at the halfway point last year. All they had to do was play .500 ball.

Of course most of the Mets' bench players could've started for the Nats last year.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What about Buehrle and Contreras?

Draft saved Draft deleted