1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 9

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Have at it.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Justin Maxwell!!!!!

Pretty cool for the Nats to sweep the final home series of the year.

Dunn still needs two, right Moddy?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just as I thought. Final week of the season and we're talking Nats baseball.

4. JackReacher

And yet you added so much more about the rest of the league with that post.

5. cranberry

I'm OK talking Nats. Here's Boswell's excellent column from this morning's Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content//article/2009/09/30/AR2009093004563.html

If the Nats keep operating as they have, they'll be seen as the only top-10 market with the gall to act like a bottom-five town.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Moderator1

Yes, two. Thought he had one of them last night but noooooo. Went foul.
    As I posted late on the previous thread, I only wish this sweep did some damage to the Mets.

7. JackReacher

In a way, I'm sad I won't be attending any more Nats games this year. It was fun, for sure. Then again, thinking about all those midnight bedtimes, I don't miss it so much.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Knowing what I know now about Tom Hicks' finances ... the Rangers will be either contracted by 2011 or will be playing in San Juan.

The Rangers are fucking upside down, thank you very much. Hicks owes about $150 million more than what he's asking for his majority share. Forbes valued the team at $405M in April.

The sad thing is, this team was a free agent pitcher and a couple of bats away from challenging for the AL pennant. Instead, the fire sale commences forthwith.

Michael Young, the face of the franchise, and Kevin Millwood, he of the $12M option, will be on the block, though I see few takers. Hank Blalock and Joaquin Benoit, each afterthoughts this year, are already packing their bags. Ian Kinsler and Scott Feldman have arbitration coming up and Marlon Byrd, a great clubhouse guy, will fly away.

Hicks had six offers to buy before this month. With the debt the team is saddled with, who will want to buy the franchise now?

Blow the fuckers up now and get an NL team in here.

9. cranberry

As bad as that sounds, I'd guess baseball is the least of Hicks' financial issues.

10. That sucks. No chance of Cubes or Jerry stepping in?

11. cranberry

My managers of the year are Gardenhire and Cox. Their clubs had no business even sniffing the postseason, yet there they were.

12. Moderator1

No love for Jim Tracy? He actually got a team INTO the playoffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.