1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 7: Somebody slip the pinstripers a Mickey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Despite being the best pitcher in baseball, Zach Greinke cannot win the Cy Young because the Royals suck and I don't see them on Sunday night baseball against the Yankees or Red Sox.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Greinke and Mauer can console each other when they don't win.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Yankees hater.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not me. I think CC Sabathia should win the Cy Young, because he has the most wins, and that's the most important stat for a pitcher.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mark Teixeira is the best pitcher in the AL this year.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

cy young goes to the best pitcher in the league, or so i've always thought. greinke is the clearcut frontrunner.

conversely, the mvp is NOT a "player of the year" award, for those who continue to mock my stance.

why don't we simply agree to let the season concludes before casting our ballots, okay? ??? ??? ???

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Holy shit, did that make me laugh.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I can agree with that.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What fun is that?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Greinke is probably the best pitcher in the league, but he's going to have to win about four more games to lock it up (he's 13-8 now). The only starter who's won the Cy Young with fewer than 17 wins in a non-strike year was Brandon Webb a few years ago (when he tied five other guys for the league lead with 16).

(That doesn't count Rick Sutcliffe, who wasn't traded to the Cubs until June of 1984. Anyway, he had 20 wins if you count his time with the Indians).

Greinke's currently fifth in the league in wins ...

But yeah, when I think of awards being bestowed prematurely, I always think of 1996, when every ESPN anchor began referring to Andy Pettitte as "this year's Cy Young winner" in about mid-August. Someone forgot to tell Pat Hentgen ...

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

But Greinke is pitching for the worst team in the league, if not the entire game. If you're going to vote for Jeter, et al, b/c they are playing for a first-place team, wouldn't you vote for Sabathia or Verlander or Brian Fuentes for Cy Young?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yes, because since you started the thread, the Twins have moved into second place.

This makes Mauer more valuable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.