1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread No. 19: The Robin Yount Postseason Tour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dickens Cider, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sorry. I let myself be drawn in two years ago and attended the clincher against the Mets. I'm torn, because if they advance, then McCourt might will have some justification for his clear opinion that he's a good owner. And the fact is, I shouldn't bitch about a playoff appearance every other year.

But I haven't believed in them since I saw the Padres complete the NL West-stealing sweep on Fan Appreciation Day in 1996. Heartbreak, and a clear sign that the Piazza era had zero heart and leadership. Frackin' Ken Caminiti and that meathead in the seats near us chanting "MVP! MVP!" every time that roid freak was up to bat.

No, I'm not bitter. . . .

So yeah, better get tickets for Game Three.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Already did. ;)

Didn't dare take the chance that there'd be a Game 4. Got my tickets first, then worked it out to take a day off next Saturday.

3. joe

joe Active Member

I hope you have every ticket stub and program from all the games you've been to. You know, for the Buckdub wing of the BBHOF.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Royals won their 18th game this month. Still not assured fourth place, but Tampa Bay, feel free to help out.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Whoop-de-damn-doo.
    18 wins in September = we suck but we play hard when everybody else is packing it in.

Or, to paraphrase my friend Casty as told to him about bad teams by a MLB exec many years ago: Don't believe anything you see in March or September.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

To those of you you have not read the NL Cy Young thread tonight:

I hereby humbly retract any negative words I have said or posted about Johan Santana.
    Cy Young Award winner? Hell he's a freaking God!

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fixed.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I totally disagree that the Mets have packed it in as they did in 2007. They had the same problems with their bullpen and thinner-than-Vogue-cover-models starting rotation all year. This has accounted for their somewhat erratic performance. I mean, what's to expect from a club whose potential one-game playoff starting pitcher is Pedro Martinez on short rest but a few ups and downs?
    I love Pedro, but com'on. He wasn't a good bet on short rest in 2000, when he was the best pitcher in the game.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yawn.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

White Sox still control their own destiny.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think Ollie goes 9 today, and Manuel tries to win it all Ozzie style - with the bullpen sitting out when Santana, Perez & Pelfrey pitch.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sort of a meaningless phrase, in this situation.

Twins win two games, they're in.

White Sox win three, they're in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.