1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread No. 19: The Robin Yount Postseason Tour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dickens Cider, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Scenarios for tomorrow:

Twins win, Pale Hose lose: Twins win division outright.

Twins win, Pale Hose win: Chicago has to play Detroit. If they beat Detroit Monday, one-game playoff Tuesday in Chicago.

Twins lose, Pale Hose lose: Chicago has to play Detroit. If they beat Detroit Monday, one-game playoff Tuesday in Chicago.

Twins lose, Pale Hose win: Chicago has to play Detroit. If they beat Detroit Monday, Chicago wins division. If Detroit wins, one-game playoff Tuesday in Chicago.

I think.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Tribe is starting a rookie sted a CYA winner. Where are Tris Speaker and Joe Wood to place a bet when you need 'em?

3. joe

joe Active Member

That makes my head hurt, Zeke.

4. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Indians have put up 23 runs this series, and they get to play against their bitch Mark Buehrle on three days rest tomorrow. I'm not counting them out, even if they're running a scrub out there tomorrow.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Anyway you slice it, that makes for one hell of an ulcer for Twins and Sox fans.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Put it this way. Only the Twins can win the division outright tomorrow by winning while the Sox lose. The best Chicago can do is survive to play the makeup game.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Don't feel like digging up the other thread, but now that the Phillies have clinched the division ... who's the NL MVP?

For my money, it's Albert.

He's having the best year of his career (or, at worst, a very, very close second to 2003.)

Probably would have won the batting title if Chipper hadn't gotten injured (and kept his average high by missing games.) As it is, he's at .357, which is phenomenal for a guy with his power. No. 1 in OPS, slugging and total bases. No. 2 in batting, XBH, walks and on-base pct. Third in hits. Fourth in HRs and RBI. Fifth in runs. Sixth in doubles.

Hitting .350 in first half, .366 in second half. 18 homers at home and 18 on the road. Hitting .414 vs. lefties, .332 vs. righties. An incredible 103-53 BB/K ratio.

Dude can flat-out rake.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why, Blood and Guts Santana, of course.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

And he's doing it all with a messed up shoulder.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I heart you.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Buck, Ryan Howard is the MVP...despite .250 BA and 200 Ks.
    What he has done in September is simply carry them to the division title ... 48 HRs, 146 RBI...tearing it up in September.
    The Cards could have missed the playoffs without Pujols.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Cards wouldn't have sniffed playoff contention without Pujols, though. That counts for something.

Howard can't do anything well except hit for power. (And he can't even do that well, if he doesn't hit it over the wall.)

Pujols is the best player in the league, hands down. Overwhelmingly MOP > a so-so MVP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.