1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread No. 17: Let's Get Dizzy, Mr. Dean

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If the White Sox miss slide and the playoffs, would that be a good argument as to how "valuable" Quentin was to that team? I don't think he should be automatically dismissed because he missed the last month.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But the scouts are there now.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Right when it looked like the Rays would piss themselves and let the Sox win the division, Baldelli and Joe Inglett combine to keep Tampa Bay afloat.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And don't look now, but the Strays and the Dead Sox don't like each other too much.

If they meet in October, it could get entertaining.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You plug in Hamilton or Cabrera, they do just as well.... better over this next month.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Go Jason Verlander!

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Jays-Rays in the 11th.

Longoria has said he doesn't feel pain while taking BP anymore. Maddon wants to make sure there's no issues, so Longoria might not be hitting until next weekend. They activated him for pinch-running duties today.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Understand what you're saying.

But if you really want to be valuable to your team, you don't make stupid decisions and put yourself on the bench, thus hurting your team when it needs it the most.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I wouldn't call it a stupid decision at all. I'd call it a freak injury. It's not like he punched a wall or something. He smacked his bat because he had just fouled off a pitch he should have nailed. It was the kind of thing players do all the time, but he was just unlucky. Quentin won't win because his numbers will get surpassed by other people, but the way he injured himself shouldn't be held against him.

10. Hank_Scorpio

It's not as bad as the original rumor that he punched a locker, but it was still self-inflicted.

Here's Passan's column on the subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkFB9YQeIb8EGzj4ygHK7xcRvLYF?slug=jp-quentininjury090508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I hate my fucking team. :'(

12. Hank_Scorpio

Take heart. Longoria activated today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnZHlnhnmllXK51j3jbztNk5nYcB?slug=ap-rays-longoria&prov=ap&type=lgns

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.