1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread No. 17: Let's Get Dizzy, Mr. Dean

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Time for a new thread and we can start with discussion of the AL MVP.

I'll throw out three names, add others.

Is Carlos Quentin still a leading candidate? Out for the rest of the year because of a stupid decision to punch a locker. Not sure that's being very valuable to his team.

Other candidates: Josh Hamilton. Started out red hot, but cooled off some.

Darkhorse candidate: Miguel Cabrera, who is No. 2 in home runs and RBIs since the All-Star Break. But he plays on a losing team, which may hurt him.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Is there anyone on the Angels that's having an MVP season?

I'd say Carlos Pena of the Rays considering his second half production, especially after Longoria and Crawford went down.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dustin Pedroia.

Justin Morneau.

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Sizemore.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

With Quentin out and the Rangers dead, it's Pedroia and Morneau. Pedroia for sure if the BoSox overtake the Rays.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As Hank suggested, I think Quentin blew his shot when he took himself out of the lineup being stupid.

Cabrera is finishing strong, but if you're going to vote for a player off a losing team, it still has to be Hamilton, though that could change over the final month. Right now, Hamilton's numbers are just better.

Zeke made two excellent suggestions. Morneau needs to be in the discussion, especially if the Twins do make the playoffs.

Pedroia is a different type of player and I doubt he even makes the conversation if Quentin and Kinsler don't get hurt, but his overall numbers are very good and he has been as good as anybody in baseball over the past month or so. He has been the constant in a lineup that has battled injuries and the trade of Manny Ramirez.

I'm really starting to like Pedroia as a candidate, but he has to continue to dominate the rest of the way to have a shot.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

If you would have said before the season started that the BoSox would lose Ortiz to injury for a significant period, not be able to count on J.D. Drew in the second half, trade Manny Ramirez and STILL be leading the wild card and just three games out of first in September, people would have said you were nuts. But they've done exactly that primarily because Pedroia has been good to great all year and has carried the team for months now. Hell, he went 5-for-5 batting cleanup the other day. Also, as far as numbers, he leads the AL in batting average and runs.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Completely drew a blank on Morneau when I started the thread/discussion. He and Pedroia are definitely the top two. It probably comes down to which team makes the playoffs.

Cabrera and Hamilton are probably in the same boat, being on losing teams. Fanboy aside, I might put Cabrera over Hamilton, mainly because he was hot late in the season rather than early.

Also, Cabrera switched leagues this year, so there was an adjustment period for him. Should be fun to watch him next year after an entire year in the AL.

9. outofplace

I agree with most of this, except the part about putting Cabrera first among candidates from non contenders, unless his numbers do surpass Hamilton's by the end of the month. Cabrera should be better next year. Not only did he have to deal with the change in leagues, he also had to switch positions during the season.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As if on cue, Morneau hits a grand slam.

He's now hitting:

.312 22 113 with a .390 OBP.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Morneau's RBI numbers are sick, given he only has 22 HRs. How does my fantasy team stink so much with Morneau and Pedroia on it?

12. outofplace

Off the AL MVP topic, but the resurrection of Brett Myers continued tonight at Shea Stadium. He struck out 10 while shutting out the Mets on three hits and two walks over eight innings.

I've been using his numbers to tweak certain posters, but really, this turnaround is very impressive. The combination of Hamels and Myers atop the rotation also makes the Phillies a serious threat if they can get into the playoffs, though they really need to pick it back up offensively if they are even going to get there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.