1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread IV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After 40 pages - is time to start a new thread.

Right now the leaders are

AL:
    Boston
    Detroit
    Texas

Wild card - White Sox

NL:
    Mets
    St Louis
    Arizona

Wild card - Dodgers

I think the Tigers and the emergence of the NL West are the stories of the season so far

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Tigers are clearly the most interesting story in the AL. I just can't see them hanging on though, not with the young pitching. Especially of concern later on will be Justin Verlander, who is on pace to close to doubling his innings pitched from last year. He's been so good, but Leyland needs to walk a fine line so as not to blow him out for the next few years.

3. Interesting question that was never answered from the last thread:

Casty? What say you?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I see the bird-killer is starting for the Cubs today. Hopefully the Braves will send him back to his nest.

5. Two other big stories from the first quarter of the season - how Dusty Baker and Jim Bowden remain gainfully employed. Can anyone explain how they manage to turn that trick?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd take Tigers vs. Rangers in the ALDS. But I think the A's are playing possum. Wait till they have their traditional 20-8 June or July and check back.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Can't explain Baker but Bowden is related to the ownership situation. Who would take that job knowing how short term it could be? So he'll keep the seat warm for another month or so. That leaves the draft in his hands. Maybe he can come up with another Zimmerman.

Signing a DH to play in the National League, trading for a guy who was lost for the season on his first throw of spring training, shit, I could go on forever.

Did I see somewhere that Dayton Moore has been offered the GM job in Kansas City? All this time I thought he'd be the Nats' next GM. What is a better job, the Royals or the Nats?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Nats is an infinitely better job.

9. Casey Kotchman has mono?

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks//articles/0528alplug0528.html

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

More on Moore:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/14679546.htm

11. I feel bad for allard baird - everyone says he's a nice guy - but he's clearly in over his head.

Dayton Moore would be a fool to take this job without that written confirmation that he has complete control over personel from Glass(hole). Maybe he should drag this out a bit to see if the Nats job opens up (which it will).

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

With the Nats you know ownership is going to spend some money. That HAS to be the top consideration for anyone thinking of becoming a GM who has options.

Bowden will likely be gone soon enough I'd have to think, not long after Tony Tavares is replaced.

I saw in the latest SI again talk that Baker may get an extension. It's almost as if the Tribune Co. likes the storyline that comes with the Cubs always losing.

Off the top of my head for Casty's question, it would seem like one name that comes to mind is the Cy Young Award Mark Davis won back in '89 was it? I was a kid whenever he did win it, but it seemed a little surprising at the time. Can't say I've gone and looked back at any numbers that would support or refute that answer though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.