1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 6 - Steve Garvey's got a lot of mouths to feed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Favorite bumpersticker ever: STEVE GARVEY IS NOT MY PADRE

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I also remember one out that went something like Steve Garvey MLB leader in paternity suits. You'll recall he did have that consecutive game streak going on.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As a Giants fan, I always hated Garvey.

4. My favorite:

Red Sox 2014 rotation - Lester, Buchholz, Bowden, Masterson and Wakefield

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

So Beane trades Mulder to get a bunch of prospects, including Dan Haren. Fine. But then he trades Haren to Arizona to get a bunch more prospects. Then he uses some of those prospects for a half-season of Holliday, whom he then trades for more supposedly good prospects. He just keeps shuffling young players through there, and the A's are perpetually a "promising" young team that's always two or three years away. Not sure why anyone holds this guy in high esteem anymore.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I lost all respect for Beane after they lost to the Red Sox in the 2003 playoffs. He blamed the loss on not having another $50 million to spend like Boston had.
    No, jackhole. No.
    If you finish 10 games back, you can blame it on that. When you blow a 2-0 lead in a playoff series, and a 2-1 lead for the third straight year, it's because your roided up players don't know how to slide on plays at the plate.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why Ted Lilly did not take a machine gun onto the team bus after that game and open fire remains a mystery to me.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

For one thing, the Mulder deal was fantastic for Oakland. Mulder had one good year for St. Louis. Haren alone was a fantastic return. They also got a useful reliever, Kiko Colero, and Daric Barton, who hasn't panned out yet, but at least had some value at the time.

I think trading Haren away was a mistake, but it's a little early to judge that one. He didn't trade away all of those prospects. Brett Anderson is still with Oakland and he has shown some promise this year.

He also got very good value for Holliday despite his numbers dropping with the move to Oakland.

Beane probably gets a little more hype than he deserved, but those moves you are ripping him for haven't been all bad.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OOP, I think Beane's critics are a little more macro in their viewpoint. He runs so hard to remain in the same place. At some point, a franchise has to decide "this is our team, and we can win with it if we do A, B, C, but we can only afford to do A and part of B, so that's how we'll play it."
    The Beane A's never do that. It's a constant shuffle to create a team that isn't going to be around for the long haul, but looks like it could be good in three or four years with a little tweaking.
    To me, that's just dealing three-card monte to your fans. It's a shuck. Better than the Pirates' or Nats' willful refusal to compete, but not much better.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Precisely.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

and from the same era Sixto Lezcano

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Did Jose Guillen's unfortunate injury get addressed yet? Talk about summing up the way a season has gone for a team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.