1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread 4 - That's the second baseman if you are scoring at home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, you should hate Brian Cashman for that.

Johnson is and always has been a POS when it comes to dealing with media, fans, the spotlight, etc. Only an idiot would have expected him to thrive in NYC.
    One of Cashman's dumbest moves (next to Carl Pavano, of course).

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nothing like knowing your facts, dickhead.

Boras offered Beltran to the Yankees for less than the Mets are paying him. The Yankees said no because they were busy pissing away money on the Big Prick and Carl "sprained-vagina" Pavano.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree with this to a point, and I also agree with spnited, but it still makes me bitter.

Sheffield was a good signing, at least in hindsight, but God, Beltran was a huge, huge loss.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

But they got Johnnny Damon the next year....he's just as good ::)

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It'll be a while ... but I won't say never. Not with the longevity we're seeing out of pitchers today.

In the 1980s when you had Perry, Carlton, Seaver, Niekro and Sutton all hitting 300, there was a lot of talk that these would be the last. Then Nolan Ryan kept pitching and pitching, and he got there too.

That's kind of how the new bunch of 300 winners (Maddux, Clemens, Glavine) got there — by pitching and pitching — and that's how the Unit got there. Hell, I wouldn't put it past Moyer if he hangs around to age 50 with that horseshit changeup of his.

I'd also submit CC Sabathia as a candidate for contention — 121 career wins at the age of 28. If he stays good for just 15-16 wins a year (and he will win more than that in his prime years), he'll be there before age 40. Sabathia has two qualities that taken together suggest such longevity: He's a lefty, and he has a pulse.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They put the headset on Manny in the third inning and Dibble jumped right in with that question. Then the dogs started barking and I didn't hear a word Manny said.
    There's a metaphor or something in there.
    Dibble's other main point: the team is 13-33. What's to lose at this point? Take some chances. He railed on the third base coach, deservedly so, the other night.
    He's an acquired taste that some never acquire. But he isn't afraid to rip the team. Which is a good thing, because there's a lot of ripping to be done.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hi BYH!

Of course, it is worth noting that one of those teams making a repeat trip to the Stanley Cup finals is the small-market Penguins. Teams can repeat with a salary cap. They just have to earn it by being smarter than the other guys (or getting really lucky). The goal of things like revenue sharing and salary caps is not to eliminate dynasties, though that is a possible result. The goal is to make sure every franchise has the same opportunity to be that dynasty.

:)

8. RE - Randy Johnson to the Yankees. I have always understood that the Johnson deal was purely an edict of George Steinbrenner and was something Cashman (who at the time had very little independence) had to do not wanted to do. The blame for thinking Johnson would thrive in NYC lies with Steinbrenner and Steinbrenner alone.

9. topsheep

topsheep Member

I'll meet whoever in DC to see Johnson go for 300.

Can't miss history when you're so close. PM me.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When's he scheduled to start?

Edit....Sweet mama. Wednesday, the day I'll be at the park!

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If he's currently on a major league roster this discussion begins and ends with Darryle Ward.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey, easy. I saw Ward get his big ass home from first on a triple by Jose Guillen in 2006. Nats rallied from 9-2 down to beat the Yankees, then won the next day on a game-winner by Zimmerman in the ninth.

Being a Nats fan, the highlights aren't hard to count. That ranks very high among the few.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.