1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

baseball style guide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Mar 6, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Disagree. At least it's still relatively factually correct, unlike 6.2.

2. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

i was wondering about the 3-for-4 thing myself because my paper uses 3 for 4 unless the sentence is something like "John Smith went 3-for-4 batting" or uses it in some other modifying way. we have to go back and take all the hyphens out of AP stuff from the wire.

what's the real correct way? and why?

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Coach Steve Smith spent the day hitting fungoes to his shortstop Bill Black because Black made three errors in Sunday's 6-4 loss.

Fungoes, as I understand it, are just routine ground balls hit during practice. The word also describes the bats used to hit practice grounders and fly balls.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I think it depends on what part of the country you're in, or who the coaches or players are when it comes to the use of the word fungoes.

And yes, grounders is the way to go. Everyone knows what they are. The word has just one meaning.

However, from this site: http://www.mlb-playoff-baseball.com/glossary-baseball-terms.php
    fungo
    A ball hit to a fielder during practice. It's usually hit by a coach using a "fungo bat," which is longer and thinner than a normal bat.

And this one: http://www.nocryinginbaseball.com/glossary/glossary.html
    FUNGO A ball hit to a fielder during practice.
    FUNGO BAT Bat used to hit fungo. Usually longer and thinner than a regular back.

And this one: http://www.baseballtips.com/lingo.html
    fungo -- A ball hit to a fielder during practice. It's usually hit by a coach using a "fungo bat," which is longer and thinner than a normal bat.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A fungo bat is a bitch to hit fungoes with.

6. Preposition-sentence ender!

7. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the last AP stylebook say RBI and ERA on first reference is now OK?

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm at a fucking loss. So much so that I'm never saying or writing the fucking word again! :D

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

My point was not that it was shorter to do it the other way, but that it's cleaner for the reader without the loss of any significant information.

I also think, in this case, there is a big difference between writing about a major league game and a high school game. I cover MLB, and I almost always use "three hits" instead of "3-for-4." It's in the box score if anyone cares.

10. Meatwad

Meatwad New Member

My paper uses RBI, not RBIs.

But there is POWs. (not in sports, obviously). Not PsOW, though it would technically be correct.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Excellent point! Game. Set. And Match.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Here is the rule on hyphens, AP be damned:

No hyphens if the phrase is a noun.

Smith went 3 for 4 at the plate.

Hyphenate ONLY when the phrase becomes an adjective.

Smith had a 3-for-4 day at the plate.

This goes for basketball, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted