1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

baseball style guide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Mar 6, 2007.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Under what possible circumstances would you need to use that plural?

If you're in that situation, how about "the coach pulled two fungo bats out of the bag?"

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Coaches do hit "fungoes."

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Shortstop. It is a position and it not a short stop to get Tastykakes.

Center Field, because left field and right field are two words. Unless, of course, you are referring to John Fogarty's great song, "Centerfield"

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Why debate this here?

Why not use AP style.

Makes life easier.

6. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

What article would you use that phrase in?

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I can see writing a story about how Billy Butterfingers used to have problems in the field, but solved them after hours of work with Coach Dickhead.

Though as I was trying to write an example sentence, I realized that any sentence that uses "fungoes" can use "grounders" instead.

Also, I think the guy who originally asked about the plural of "fungo" was joking.

8. So does nobody ever here write that somebody had, say, two hits and an RBI? I do because I think it's much more conversation than so and so had two hits and drove in a run. But since RBI stands for Runs Batted In, you can't have just one RBI. Therefore, all the people in the 10 RBI rather than 10 RBIs camp can't write RBI as singular.

Whenever possible, I prefer to write how people talk. And most people use RBI as a noun. My paper's style is to keep it RBI, but I argue it every baseball season.

9. RBI stands for "run batted in." It's not inherently plural.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Because AP doesn't follow AP style.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just to pile on about one thing ... if your system cannot produce 62/3, OK. But do NOT accept AP's 6 2-3 innings if you don't have to, in copy OR in agate. It looks like shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted