1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 19, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Basically. And they didn't even wear helmets, let alone several pounds of armor. Players back then weren't a bunch of pussies. Of course, I've got nothing against wearing a helmet. Just like this guy ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My grandfather was dying of emphysema in late 1992, and in his living room sat a hospital bed from which he lived out his days. He'd watch little more than the news and St. Louis Cardinals games. Lee Smith, the Cardinals shaky closer, would give my grandfather more consternation than he needed in his weakened state.

My sisters, eight years old at the time, purchased their Christmas gifts from the annual "Santa's Workshop" at school. They'd get a few dollars from my mother, and spend a little on each of us. A pair of work gloves for dad; a pot holder for mom. That year, Amber bought my grandfather a miniature St. Louis Cardinals helmet for the television tray beside his bed. Autumn bought him a small compass, a suction cup affixed at the bottom.

After giving him the gifts, Autumn said something to the effect, "When you go away you know where you're going." And Amber added, "And I you'll always be able to think about the Cardinals."

Those gifts remained, side-by-side, at that table, unmoved until his death the following year. My family then realized my sisters were special people. And that their grandfather appreciated it.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wow. Some great stories here. Thanks, everyone, for sharing.

I think one of the most exciting things in my life was when I went to watch the Cal Ripken World Series at the park where I played my Little League games, which were actually called Bambino League games in those days.

I am something of a legend on that field, or at least I was for a few years. Let's just say that I came to be known as Rainbow Ronnie.

Anyway, a helicopter landed on the mound where I had thrown my ephus pitch, and out hopped Lou Brock. I never saw him play, but it was sort of surreal to see him there in a little old Midwestern city standing on my pitching mound. Hell, I threw so slow he probably could have stolen two bases at once on me without a throw.

Draft saved Draft deleted