1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball scoring question: Blown save

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dodiad, May 24, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

How's that work? Not saying you're wrong, but just wondering for my own sense of knowledge.

Let's say the Mets are up 6-4, and Pedro Feliciano comes up in the seventh and gives up a three-run jack. Is he credited with a blown save?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes.
    Today's Rays-Marlins box. Josh Johnson goes 7, leaves with 4-3 lead. Nunez gives up a run in the 8th.

Johnson 7.0 6 3 3 3 7 0 2.67
    Nunez (BS, 2) 1.0 2 1 1 0 1 1 3.63

Leo Nunez now has six blown saves in his career --- and NO saves.
    Makes sense, huh?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yes, you can actually have two or three or more blown saves in a game.

So Aaron Heilman and Kevin Gregg could both get blown saves in the save game.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Nunez is a career setup guy, the stat makes sense. But again, the terminology does not.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

If you enter the game in a save situation - no matter what inning - and the other team ties it when you're on the hill, you get a Blown Save.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think the most idiotic rule in baseball is that a pitcher who blows a save can get a win. Happened the other night with the Halos and it's just a dumb rule.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

So who would you give the win to if a guy blows a lead in the top of the 9th and his team wins in the bottom of the 9th?

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A guy can give up nothing but one unearned run and blow a save. He shouldn't be able to get the win?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

He could also come in with first and third, no out and give up the tying run on a double play or a sac fly and get a blown save.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Related topic: Is it just me, or is AP pissing anyone else off by sticking stuff like this in the basic (not expanded) box scores:

Chicago White Sox
    Buehrle 7 12 1 1 0 3
    Dotel H,8 1 1 1 1 0 2
    Jenks, BS, 1-11; L, 0-2 1 3 2 2 0 0

Not only are stats like "Holds" and "Blown Saves" bogus to many fans, they foul up the box score tabs completely, and are a true pain in the rear on deadline.

I also don't need to see the number of saves-number of chances (or, in the example above, number of "blown" saves-number of save chances) in the box score. Just give me how many saves a pitcher has, or his win-loss record.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Don't care as long as it's not a -3, which I have to skip when I find-and-replace to change to /3 and then fix fractions.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If we're going to start being all uppity about what stats are useful, Wins Losses and Saves are all on the chopping block.

Draft saved Draft deleted