1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Scorecard for journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stevie Larson, Jun 27, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

No, nothing is scared when my boss makes me take pictures, video and live tweet during a game. Adding a scorebook to that mix is a royal pain. I use GameChanger if I bring a tablet (which I have a stand for and place by me in the dugout as I shoot) or I use ScoreKeeper on my Windows Phone. There's more work before the game in making sure your rosters are entered into the program and match both team's books that day. But it's much faster to use during the game because plays are entered with one or two swipes of a finger, as opposed to me having to grab a clipboard and mark down every play on paper.

And when the game's done, I click a button and get a full automated box score with play-by-play of the entire game. A tremendous help on deadline.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It was an all-star game. Players constantly in and out and in different positions than originally listed.

3. All-star games in your neck of the woods must actually operate with competence. God bless you.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I bought a scorebook from the local sporting goods shop and then kept a running pitch-by-pitch detail in a separate notebook so I could keep track of pitch counts. Also keeps you engaged in the game the whole time, if that's a problem.

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

When I covered Class A ball I used the Carpenter book. Plenty of room to keep score but also notes and odds and ends that might be useful. I couldn't trust the Media Relations guy so that let me keep a season-long track of things that I could reference easily.

Draft saved Draft deleted