1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball rules question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Apr 14, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm working from home right now and my rule book is in the office, so I come to the denizens of SportsJournalists.com for some help.

On a play where there is a catcher's interference as a batter swings, is the ball automatically ruled dead and the batter awarded first, or would a batted ball that goes for a hit allow the play to continue?

I ask because during a game I covered today, Team A had runners on second and third with two outs. The batter roped a line drive down the left field line that would have scored two if ruled fair. The ump, though, called for catcher's interference (the bat hit the glove) and awarded the hitter first base. There was a brief discussion between the coach and ump about whether the ball was fair or foul.

It appeared to hit the line. I later asked the ump if it would have been a hit if not for the CI, and he said "Maybe." I pressed him further and he said it was foul, but his tone was not very assured (sounded like maybe he said foul just avoid any stickiness as to the ruling).

Just curious.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I think it's a dead ball and runners only advance if forced. But not completely sure.

3. txscoop

txscoop Member

Wrong..It is not a dead ball. If the offense gains more from a hit than they can ignore the ruling of catcher's interference.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

And if I'm not mistaken, don't runners advance one base whether forced to or not?

BTW, the play also goes down as an E2.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

From Rule 6.08(c)"

If a play follows the interference, the manager of the offense may advise the plate umpire that he elects to decline the interference penalty and accept the play. Such election shall be made immediately at the end of the play. However, if the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batsman, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, the play proceeds without reference to the interference.

Rule 6.08(c) Comment: If catcher’s interference is called with a play in progress the umpire will allow the play to continue because the manager may elect to take the play.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Thanks, spnited. Sounds like if the ump had ruled it fair, the coach could have argued the result of the play should have stood. Odd, though, that he seemed to end the play before he could determine if it was fair or foul. He just immediately jumped up calling CI and ended the play.

It was actually a key moment in the game. If they got the two runs it would have tied the game. Team B scored five runs the next innign and put it away.

Draft saved Draft deleted