1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Question: Range Factor for First Basemen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 3, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So at breakfast this morning one of my sons brought up his favorite player, Carlos Delgado. That got into a discussion of his fielding abilities and I maintained that he was at best an average fielding first basemen with not much range.

So, I'm trying to find out where exactly he compares with other first basemen. Delgado's RF was .916 which doesn't strike me as all that high.

Anybody have an opinion or better still a link that compares all 1st basemen's defensive stats for last year?

Thanks

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

JESUS CHRIST... get the asshole an editor!

only thingk I cant take from that is that .916 equals zero for the fielding-range people.

what a clodding butcher

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

Don't know where you can get the stats, but as far as better fielding first basemen, there are a bunch. A few that come to mind are Mark Teixeira, Derrek Lee, Albert Pujols, Todd Helton ...

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"If you can play catch, you can play first."-Gene Mauch

JR, I say this as a cyberfriend. Anyone thinking about the range factor of first basemen may be getting a little more deeply into baseball than is entirely healthy.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Amen, Gee. Amen!

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

As I said on the hot stove (man, that comes off as a bad pun here) thread, sounds like we're talking about ovens. [priceisrightvoiceguy]Bob, this new Kitchenlite cooking station will leave all the housewives in the neighborhood GREEEEN with envy! It's got a range factor of .916, with six eyes, for those special occasions when you're having guests over for fondue! All of this can be had ... IF the price is right![/voice]

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ok, so as someone who thought Delgado was never paid the big bucks in Toronto for his fielding abilities, has anything changed since he became a Met? Still average after all these years?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm a recovering sabermetrician.
    But thanks for the intervention. :)

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, JR, still average at best defensively.
    He's has never been in anybody's lineup because of his defensive prowess.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly.

Try telling that to an 18 year old who maintains--as only 18 year olds can do--that he's "vastly underrated defensively" and that he was "the best Blue Jay ever". Ah, no my son, that would be Robbie Alomar.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

ESPN.com's baseball stats show fielding. You can sort by stat for each position. Delgado's 9.16 range factor puts him 17th of 21 full-time 1B last year. His zone rating might be a better indication of his skills. That's the balls in his zone that he got to. He's fifth there. Range factor is put outs + assists/innings played, which could be affected by the other infielders for a 1B, or by a bunch of fly ball pitchers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=9&season=2006&seasonType=2&split=79&sortColumn=rangeFactor

12. boots

boots New Member

He is a butcher in the field. Once his hitting goes, he'll be looking for a real job.

Draft saved Draft deleted