1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball preview magazines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Huggy, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm in full-scale baseball mode now that the NFL is done. I was at the mall today and I see a number of the previews are on the shelves. I saw Athlon's, Lindy's and Sporting News. I've bought them all at one time or other over the years and I'm wondering if anyone out there has opinions on this year's issues or any I might have missed.

Which one is closest to the classic Mazeroski previews? I'm big on the scouting reports on each player, not so much on the fantasy stuff.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They are all irrelevant. Practically out of date the moment published.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I sort of agree with the Predictor, although I bought two in one shot on the weekend.

I read them just because I'm hungry for ball.

Half the time, the mags are published before the free agency frenzy has tapered off.

But, never the less, I bought Athlon and Street & Smith. I'll like spring for another next weekend.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They're all pretty useless. I have friends who used to write for the TSN Yearbook, and their deadline was a week before Christmas.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I flipped through TSN's preview at the store. Not too bad...and scouting reports galore.

Worth the $7.50? Fuck no. I'll wait for Baseball Prospectus, thank you very much.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :p

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Oops, wrong thread I guess. Which way to the Gay Sports Writers thread?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Sporting News has the most scouting reports by far. I bought that and Athlon's and enjoy them both to keep me full until Ap

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

With so much information on the Internet, I never buy these publications anymore. I used to spend money preparing for fantasy baseball drafts, but no more.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hell, I still buy the magazines. The best ones by far are Sporting News and Street and Smith. In terms of fantasy baseball, CBS Sportsline puts out a pretty good magazine.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I like SI's preview. With the exception of the Sporting News, all the others have an amateurish feel to them as far as layout and articles. If not amateurish, then just not as well done. I haven't read CBS Sportsline, though, but I guess I should since I'm doing one of their fantasy leagues. (go Cleveland Steamers!)

12. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I'm all about Baseball Prospectus, especially for fantasy draft preparation. If you're in an auction draft, pay for the online product and use the Player Forecast Manager. If you're just a baseball fan who enjoys insightful yet smart-ass writing, the annual print edition is only like $15.

Draft saved Draft deleted