1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball possibly bans ball-collecting freak...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MCEchan36, Dec 14, 2006.

1. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I had one thrown to me during BP at Game 1 of the '98 Series by Andy Pettitte. It was the first time anyone had ever thrown me a ball and then I did something that would have laid Zackie-boy out in a freakin' coma: I turned around and gave it to my little sister, who was at her first baseball game ever.

A few years later, she had it autographed by Sir Sidney Ponson. D'oh!

Anyway, at times, I wonder if Zack reads (or even knows about) this site. Too bad he wouldn't pick up on any criticism, though. The dude has serious issues when it comes to letting go of both his child-hood and obsessions. He's also probably the reason why Manny Ramirez always asks to be traded: Zack's such a stalker that he's scared ManRam out of Boston.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rickey Henderson threw me a ball during BP when I was a kid. It was the night after Nolan Ryan notched his 5,000th strikeout. I really love that ball.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I thought this was about Peter King.

4. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

LJB, I'd hide that some place safe and secret. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple nights from now, a bald-headed geek breaks into your house, steals it, and pushes your kid down a flight of stairs just for the hell of it.

What? You don't have a kid? That's all right, he'll just take one of your neighbors' little ones and use him/her instead. ;D ;D ;D

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You can have it (and you can push the kid down the stairs), just don't touch the rare books.

You can also have the foul ball I caught off the fearsome bat of Bob Kipper

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hiyoooo!!!

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Never caught a ball, although one time at County Stadium, Rickey flipped my section the bird when I was sitting the bleachers. So that was just as cool in my book.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I was 11 or so I caught a screaming line-drive BP homer from Darryl Strawberry that almost took my head off. Didn't move a step and it just hit my glove. I'm prouder of that than the one in-game foul ball I got that was tipped by my Dad into my lap.

As for the Hample thing, I don't see quite how a ban actually would work. Would MLB put his face on a WANTED poster and hang it at every turnstile in the league?

9. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

That would be sweet as hell. At least have all the ballparks in the Northeast do it, otherwise, who knows how many other paraplegics or retarded kids he'll bowl out of his way in order to get a ball... and send them plummeting to their demise from the upper deck?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Remember that "Family Guy" episode where Peter gives Stewie the foul ball as a souvenir? Stewie trades it to the kid next to him and gets a souvenir bat in return. Then he clobbers the kid with the bat and takes back the ball.

"What did you learn?"

Classic stuff. :D

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You mean this isn't another Peter King thread.

12. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

That probably was inspired by a real-life Hample episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted