1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball possibly bans ball-collecting freak...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MCEchan36, Dec 14, 2006.

1. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Rumor has it from one of my sources that all Major League ballparks has banned Zack Hample (aka: that ball-collecting lunatic) from all future games, probably because of various complaints from other fans and him being dumb enough to publicize his laughable exploits. I will disseminate any details that come along the way. I sooooooooo hope this is true.

If you ever wanted to hate someone at the ballpark, here's your chance:

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh. I thought this was about somone else. Sorry.

3. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

No, not THAT freak. He was just re-upped for $16 mil by the Jints.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I wonder what Zack has to say on his Web site.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading about that idiot. I always thought it was cool if you caught a ball and really lame if you were one of those people that used devices to reach over the wall and pick them up.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agree whole-heartedly.

As a kid -- or if I have kids -- I'd never be caught dead using a cup and a rope (or any other device) to get a ball at BP. There's an art to catching BP balls, whether it's convincing a player to throw one to you, or strategically picking the right place in the left-field stands where it bounces just right.

I've got a place in mind where that kid can collect some balls. Fuck that shit.

7. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

For all MLB beat writers that go on here: if you happen to be friendly with any players, especially NLers, PLEASE tell them about this guy and BEG them not to give Zackie boy any balls. Have them spread the word to their teammates. He must be stopped!

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I doubt any ban could hold up in court. It would also be a bad PR move. Not that the dude doesn't deserve one.

9. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Damn, we were just talking about that in my shop. And you know that attention whore would also write another book and include that whole ordeal. He'd be a sports fan martyr.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Wow. What a .... um, yeah.

Mustardbased's rules on the subject:
    1. No asking, begging, pleading for a ball.
    2. BP balls don't count.
    3. Balls given to you don't count.
    4. Balls caught with any bullshit device don't count.

Mustardbased's total: 1
    And I can tell you pretty much anything you need to know about catching it. Was one of the thrills of my childhood.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh, it most certainly WOULD hold up in court. As long as the moron can't hire a lawyer and try to prove he's being banned for race, creed, gender, etc etc or any other defendible legal status, the teams are on very safe ground.

The fine print on the back of every ticket gives them pretty much nearly unlimited authority to refuse admittance/eject any spectator who, in the club's view, is disrupting the enjoyment or safety of others.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

See, I always liked catching them at BP. Got at least a couple dozen of them that way, and all of them by respectable measures.

And I can still tell you, in great detail, exactly which players had the courtesy to throw me a baseball before a game when I was a kid (Kirby Puckett was the first, when I was 5. I squeezed my glove too early; it dropped back down to the outfield. He laughed, jogged over to the fence, threw it back up to my dad and pointed at me, to make sure it was given to me. He smiled afterward, waved, and ran back toward center field. I'll never forget him for that.)

But going by mustard's standards, I've caught 1, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted