1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Player Comparison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 21, 2010.

?

Which of these two players do you think has better Hall of Fame credentials based upon their statist

1. Player A

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Player B

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Both Players are HoF Worthy

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Daniel Nava

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you check the FULL records of both players, not just Chris' selected stats, you'll know why one of these guys already is in the Hall, deservedly so, and the other will never make it.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The one who is already deserves in because he played the least-offensive position for a long time. The other guy probably deserves in for playing almost as rare a position.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I could at least consider Player A for the HOF. I'm not saying that right now I'd vote him in if I had a vote. But he merits consideration.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

What is "rare" about the other guy's position?
    He's a good player, never been considered a great player, never the best in his league at his position, never close to being MVP and his best power years have to be viewed as possibly PED aided.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's great to put up stats in a vacuum, but let's get real here. Baseball is not just about stats. It's always been about context.

6. RickStain

It's the second- or third-least offensive position in the league for most of baseball history.

MVP awards can be pretty subjective, and playing on a great team in the middle of a great lineup can help a player pad the stats that win MVP votes.

And if people didn't think Player A was the best in the league at his position for a few years, they weren't paying enough attention.

The PEDs are a fair point. Each voter can decide for themselves how much weight to give that.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Less than you think.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Neither of these guys is Jamie Moyer, so who the hell cares.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I woudn't give them huge weight, because of the fan vote being a popularity contest. However, it is at least a quick reference on whether a man was considered a premier player at his position, in his league, during his era. And that has always been a popular criteria.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Considering the players I grew up watching in his position, it was always a major offensive positon.

And while some might have considered him the best defensvely at his posiiton at times, he was never the best all-around guy at that position that I can recall.
    Again, a very good player. But this is not the Hall of Very Good

11. RickStain

Who was a better center-fielder in 1990 than that guy?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Que Rick going off on his hall of FAME rant.

Draft saved Draft deleted