1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball LCS ratings down! The world is coming to an end!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Oct 17, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2011/story/_/id/7116112/2011-mlb-playoffs-tv-ratings-league-championship-series

Let's see. St. Louis has a national following. Detroit, top 20 metro area. Dallas Fort Worth has nearly 5 million people now, and they're blaming this crap on small markets?

Let's just call these stories what they are - Booooolhoooosnortsniff...Yankees didn't make it this year! Ratings suck!

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've tuned out every last story I've read about TV ratings for a decade now. It's so damn lazy.

The television landscape is so varied and fractured as to make TV ratings comparisons to eras meaningless. Yet, I very rarely see that context given in any story about ratings that I read.

It's just a tad different from 30 years ago when there were four channels to today when my DirecTV list goes up into the 600s. Of course ratings are down.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not the Super Bowl.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good for the fucking Super Bowl. That's one exception out of thousands.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

But how many people who have the Super Bowl on TV actually watch it and how many use it as an excuse to have a huge party? I know I'm usually among those in the second category where ever I happen to be when it's on.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was arguing on a baseball/football throwdown that football benefits from a perfect storm of factors for its popularity, with actual love of the sport being just one of many.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The only time ratings matter is when they are part of a larger issue involving the sport's business health. Obviously that is not even close to being the case with baseball.

I do find it funny that ESPN makes sure to note the ratings. A pissy little bunch when a league chooses another bid, aren't they?

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Just goes to show people would rather watch Monday Night Football with one winless team playing than baseball playoffs. It says more about the state of baseball nationally than football, though. People don't have the attention spans to watch baseball, so they either go to the park or do something else. Selig and his associates are idiots for playing playoff games at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. Of course ratings will suffer.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Besides, it's kinda hard to call DFW a small market, seeing as how the DFW metropolitan statistical area is the fourth-largest in the U.S. (behind NY, LA and Chicago).

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Geez, maybe if the networks stopped force-feeding everyone the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies and Cubs at every opportunity, there might be more interest in other teams if/when they meet in the postseason? Imagine if the sum of our knowledge of pro football was limited to the Jets, Giants, Cowboys and Steelers?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Blue font needed there? Selig and his associates have also been slammed for playing so many games in primetime, with 7:30 starts. When else are they supposed to play them?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are plenty of posters on here who think it is just fine that MLB leans so heavily on a few of its franchises to carry the financial load. But this illustrates just one reason why the NFL is better off. The ratings are going to be there no matter who wins in the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted