1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

baseball hall of famers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Belle's reputation is pure poison. And he petered out badly at a not-terribly-advanced age. He doesn't have a prayer.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He got enough votes to stay on the ballot, which is amazing considering his rep.

I wouldn't say he petered out. He had to quit at age 33 and he hit .281, with 23 HR and 102 RBI. The year before he was at .297 with 37 HR and 117 RBI.

3. Gary Carter is definitely on my list of Hall of Famers who don't belong.

I can definitely see the arguments for Manny and Biggio, and a lot of them I agree with. But like I said, I'm a lot more strict than most.

And to say that Albert Belle is even "border-line" is heresy IMO. Plenty of baseball players have strings of being very good or sometimes even great. That still does not define Hall of Famer in my book.

I look at the Hall of Fame and the players in it comparable to the player in question, and I ask myself, "Does Gary Carter deserve a plaque in the same Hall as Johnny Bench, Roy Campanella, Josh Gibson and (eventually) Ivan Rodriguez?" Or does Jim Thome belong next to Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Stan Musial or Mickey Mantle?

And the answer is definitely no.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Right or wrong, 3,000 hits is a lock to make the Hall of Fame (hmmm ... wonder if Biggio knew that? ;) :)).

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just because someone was not the greatest player on the planet for 3-5 seasons does not mean that you should exclude them from the Hall. Biggio's career gets him in. For 18 years he has had a spot on your field, and eight of those seasons were all-star caliber. Just because he was not MVP 3-4 times does not mean he does not get into the Hall.

Who can guess which player only won the MVP once, never drove in more than 133 runs in a season, never stole more than 32 bases in a season and never hit more than 50 home runs? This guy just did it year in and year out.

Answer - Hank Aaron.

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Manny Ramirez is a no-brainer, IMHO. Pound-for-pound, he's been darn near the most productive RBI man in the majors over the last decade.
    And he's a career .300 hitter.
    And he'll have 500 home runs before its over.
    and a ring.
    Lock.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've said this before and I'll say it again -- if Kirby Puckett gets in for a truncated career due to injury, so should Albert Belle. And I couldn't stand Belle when he played and I liked Puckett.

But we all know why Belle won't get it.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Albert Belle wasn't half the player Puckett was.

Manny's a dead solid perfect lock. I don't understand anyone thinking he won't get in. I can see someone arguing against Biggio, but 3K hits is a magic number, and when you add in three positions with one team his whole careeer, he's in.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't think Blyleven should be in the HOF needs to think again.

I repeat:

Since 1900, Bert Blyleven ranks 5th in career strikeouts, 8th in shutouts, and 17th in wins.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Just looking at offense, he was probably better
    Puckett -- average season over a 12-year career: .318 avg, 19 HR, 99 RBI, 38 2B, 97 R, 209 H, 12 SB, .360 OBP
    Belle -- average season over a 12-year career: .295 avg, 40 HR, 130 RBI, 41 2B, 103 R, 182 H, 9 SB, .369 OBP

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Since I'm in a picture-posting mood...

[​IMG]

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, tough shit for Albert. A career of acting like a complete asshole comes home to roost.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

None of Manky's guys will get in.

Thomas, Biggio and Manny are easy choices. They will get in and deserve to be there. I mean, c'mon. They are upper-echelon guys.

Thome is borderline.

Draft saved Draft deleted