1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Hall of Fame ballot released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This always gets pretty good discussion each year, so here we go again.

This year's ballot:

First time on ballot: Roberto Alomar, Edgar Martinez, Barry Larkin, Fred McGriff. Also, Kevin Appier, Ellis Burks, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Ray Lankford, Shane Reynolds, David Segui, Robin Ventura and Todd Zeile.

Holdovers: Andre Dawson, Bert Blyleven, Harold Baines, Don Mattingly, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Lee Smith and Alan Trammell.

http://community.baseballhall.org/Page.aspx?pid=470

And fans can send nominations for the Ford Frick Award. Top three go on the ballot along with seven more selected by past Frick winners.

http://216.235.199.245/Page.aspx?pid=469

Edit to add Blyleven to holdover list.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

David Segui? Really?

Gotta say, I don't see any Hall of Famers on that ballot.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Roberto Alomar will be realllllllllllly interesting.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

You're missing a holdover or two -- Blyleven among them.

I'd go Alomar, Edgar and Larkin among the newbies. I wouldn't vote for him but I could understand a vote for McGriff.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Alomar was a no-brainer when he was active. Much as I try to play devil's advocate, I don't see how that can change.

Larkin should be in -- will be eventually, but I don't know if he'll get it this time.

Edgar and McGriff miss out.

Raines is the most egregious holdover. He should be a lock, IMO.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Della, yea, I just noticed that. Just added Blyleven.

desk, I'm fairly certain everyone who played for 10 years makes an appearance on the ballot five years after retiring. And then, if you don't get five percent of the vote, you're off.

Blyleven and Dawson were the only holdovers that got more than 50 percent of the vote.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Alomar, Larkin and Raines for me.

If Blyleven is going to get in, this is his year.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hank, players who are in the big leagues for 10 years make the ballot five years after their last appearance. That could get even Aaron Miles on the ballot someday.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And, yes, put me on the Bert bandwagon. Hope this is finally his year.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Oh yeah, forgot to add the 10 year thing in my response to deskslave.

And to correct myself, they have to receive five percent of the vote to stay on.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How many more would McGriff have gotten with seven more home runs? I think too many are going to dismiss him as a compiler. He really needed to reach 500 homers to get in.

Larkin was a little bit ahead of the era where a lot more came to be expected from shortstops offensively. He needs to be put in that context to get in, even with one MVP and one World Series.

Alomar should get in. The fast fade at the end could at least make him wait a while.

Raines should already be there. Hopefully, that gets taken care of this year. I agree this is the year for guys like him and Blyleven, when there are no sure things in their first year on the ballot.

12. Wade Boggs gave Alomar AIDS

Draft saved Draft deleted