1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Mar 30, 2016.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I would love McFarlane figures much more if the guy would stop his lovefest for the Yankees and create more for small-market teams.

When the Giants won the World Series, they got special three-packs. The Royals have had just three players (Brett, Bo Jackson and Mike Sweeney) from the beginning (though there is a Johnny Damon variant). No Greinke (as a Royal), no Salvy Perez, no Gordon ...

And I was waiting forever for a Tony Gonzalez in a Falcons uniform. Guess they were too busy making the 15th (or whatever) Manning figure.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Good point. Wonder how much thought they put into who will sell. I think I saw a Manziel one on there when I was browsing the site.

3. HandsomeHarley

They were literally making middle relievers for the Yankees. I bet you could field an entire team.

The slus were great at first. Then the bats began to curve, the bases began to warp to where you have to put tape under them. And I still to this day cannot find an affordable Deron Cherry of the Chiefs. It was a short print or something.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They must have had 15 variations of Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf.

5. Found An '87 Topps Mario Soto card on the sidewalk last week.

I threw it away.
    In '87 could you imagine finding a near-20-year-old card in the street?

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It is the primary consideration in the collectibles industry, offset only by what the players' unions require the companies to produce. There was a reason we were producing so many chase sets featuring Griffey, Thomas and Ripken back in the day. They were the players who moved product.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My baseball card phase ended early, about 8 or 9 years old. I had 6 Bobby Aspromonte cards and 7 Bob Lillis cards. No Koufax, no Mantle, no Wills, no Drysdale, nobody any good. And the bubble gum broke right out of the package.

8. HandsomeHarley

Loved trading back in the day. I'd buy several packs (for just a few bucks) and my friend would buy several. We would trade our doubles.

I must have had 16 Bombo Rivera from 1978 Topps baseball.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

since we are on the topic, I always loved the Topps cards with the "cartoons" that told life facts about the player. No matter the player, each cartoon looked exactly alike.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anybody ever collect baseball stickers in the 80s? I think I had the sticker books for every year from 1982-88. Always got down to the last dozen or so that I don't think they ever printed. No matter how many packs I bought I could never get them. It was always awesome finishing out a team page or one of the playoff series pages, though. Getting the other half of a two-part picture from the 1983 ALCS or something like that was cool.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You missed a zero.

Draft saved Draft deleted