1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball blog: chronological or reverse chronological order?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've done it both ways, and I know the majority of blogs do it in reverse chronological order. The people who are at the games and keeping up with the commentary on their smart phones say it's a bit of a pain to scroll down more and more for each update if the updates are in chronological order(although they do it). The people who are on computers say it's not bad, and those who want a good recap after the game like to read things in order rather than in reverse order. I can't make everyone happy.

I previously did a separate post for each update. Now, it's all on one post, updated, so each game is one self-contained post with everything: play by play, commentary, audio links and other stuff, including PDF scans of my scorebook pages for fans who want to see how I scored the game. I'm constantly amazed by the different nuances from scorekeeper to scorekeeper, and I guess they are too. I've learned there's almost nothing too trivial to put on the blog. People eat up even the smallest of factoids. I scanned in the home team's lineup card from the first game of the season, and several fans wrote in and said they loved seeing it. Made them feel like they were there, they said.

Any thoughts on the dilemma in my subject line? This is not major league baseball. It's college baseball, and nearly half of the games will be on TV in one part of the area or another, although many blog readers won't have access because they live in other states.

It would be great to give people a one-click option to choose chronological or reverse chronological, but I don't know if that's possible. Someone should create that software.

If it matters, we use WordPress, and our version has some limitations that prevent me from doing all of things I'd like to do.

Ideas? I'd love to know what kinds of features you'd like to see on such a blog.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think it makes much more sense from a user satisfaction standpoint to have the most recent stuff in reverse chronological order and "above the fold" where people can see it.

3. Johnny Dangerously

I tend to agree, and I know that's the way in the blogosphere, but I've had people tell me they like to see the flow of the game in order. I guess I'll just have to make some happy and disappoint others.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Trust your instincts. You're not going to please everyone. It sounds like you've got it right and now you're second-guessing yourself. Having something fresh at the top tells the user your blog has been updated.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Don't know if your platform works can make this switch, but the Guardian's soccer minute-by-minute reports are reverse chronological order during the game so the latest is at the top, then switch to chronological order after so you can read it top to bottom.

6. Johnny Dangerously

That would be great. I doubt WordPress has something that would do that with the way I post.

I do like that approach.

Draft saved Draft deleted