1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball 2008 Thread 1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There was no baseball thread on the first few pages so I figured I'd start one.

I'm curious if anyone is hearing anything about a possible 3 way trade between the Red Sox (Coco Crisp), Orioles (Brian Roberts) and Cubs (prospects). Releasing Doug Mirabelli does open up a roster spot for the Red Sox. The Cubs have both Geovany Soto and Josh Donaldson as young catchers with Soto probably blocking Donaldson for years to come. Donaldson wouldn't be enough for Crisp so the Cubs would have to add another player or two (maybe Matt Murton?).

Opening Day less than a week away.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Baseball season!

I have nothing else to contribute. As usual.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Who would get who in the proposed deal?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Roberts and Crisp to the Cubs for prospects? I'll take it.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Would this mean Felix Pie isn't playing this year?

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's for prospects and a twisted testicle to be named later.

7. I'm just tossing this out but the Cubs would get both Roberts and Crisp to fill their 2nd and CF holes.

The Orioles would probably get Sean Gallagher RHP, Tyler Colvin OF and Eric Patterson 2B-OF from the Cubs. Maybe Pie replaces one of those guys but his value seems to be dropping.

The Red Sox maybe get Matt Wieters C from the Orioles. There would be a great symmetry of another Georgia Tech guy being put in place to replace Varitek. Or it could be Donaldson from the Cubs plus a top prospect from the Orioles. The Sox getting Wieters is probably pie in the sky though as the Orioles wouldn't want him haunting them for years to come (although he is a highly paid prospect - $6 mil bonus and trading him could be a cost cutting deal).

I think something's going on and Coco being hurt may be gumming up the works.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Would be a great deal for the Cubs.

Doc, what does the Cubs rotation look like after Zambrano?

9. Kyle Lohse signs with the Cardinals.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/ACFA084AAA7A730B8625740B006B79E6?OpenDocument

FWIW - BaseballReference.com has the most similar pitcher through age 28 to Lohse as Jeff Suppan who went 44-26 in 3 seasons in St. Louis after turning 29. Lohse just turned 29 in December.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't see the Orioles trading Wieters. I'm not sure Pie's value is really dropping, either. He showed some ability last year and was having a good spring before he got his balls in a twist.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How much is the Extra Innings package this year??

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There was some talk that the Mets were thinking about making Lohse an offer to be a sixth starter/long reliever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.