1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry Bonds headlines (real ones)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chi City 81, Aug 7, 2007.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

WOW. Not sure where I've been the last few days, but I come back to see Jerry Salt in only his seventh day as an SJ member. What a breathe of fresh air.
    "Hey your hedlines suck"
    Okay Jerry got anything better?
    "Yeah I do...try this sweet submission I made: 'Barry's World'"
    OOOH Jerry, you have awed us with you're creativity.
    "But uhhh, I , uh, never, uhhh. I didn't say I sould use that. Uh."
    Oh, then why did you post it?
    "Cuz I twanted, to, uh, see... ummm. Well yall's heds suck worse."
    Okay, thanks for playing.
    "Yeah your hedlines suck. I wouldn't submit anything so unoriginal, and can we forget I said Barry's World, cuz I'm not that unoriginal you know."
    Sure Barry, errr, Jerry.
    "Oh did I mention your hedlines sucked?"

Oh Jerry, and just so you can have some more "Your hedline sucks" banter, ours was going to be "One Giant Feat." I didn't write it, and I wasn't there when we sent the paper to press, so I'm not even sure that's what it was, but that's what is was looking like.

2. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Tons of people think he's an asshole too, probably more than think he cheated. Does that mean that this headline would be OK and not editorializing?:

Jackass hits 756*

If we, as journalists, give validity to the "opinions of the masses" through editorialization of news content, we've devalued who we are and what we do. Placing our opinion on news content (756* would be just that because it makes an assumption of guilt) undermines our credibility and feeds the hatred for our estate. In a column, fire away, it's all on the table there. But in strict news coverage of this (which your thump headline almost always will be in this case) stick to facts.

P.S. What little respect I had left for SI.com may have been shot with this one.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver Post:

A1: 756. Deck: Like him or not, legitimate or not, Barry Bonds is baseball's new home run king. He broke Hank Aaron's storied record with a towering fifth-inning shot Tuesday night in San Francisco.
    Sports front: 756! (with the period at the bottom of the exclamation point an asterisk). Deck: LOOK OUT FOR NO. 1. All-time home run record finally falls at hands of Bonds

Rocky Mountain News:
    A1: 756. Deck: Like it or not, Bonds is baseball's home run king. Then below that there was an asterisk with "Would you use this asterisk after 756? Tell us what you think at RockyMountainNews.com
    Sports front: Dropping the Hammer. Barry Bonds takes his place in history, surpassing Henry Aaron with his record 756th home run

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

756*

Bonds creams record-setting blast,
    clears Aaron on career homers list

/wasn't really sure about the *, but wasn't my call. Had fun with the deck, thouth.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

While I disagree with use of the asterisk, this is pretty good use of it. Since the pic is so small, they use the asterisk small, next to the word KING, and then put an asterisk over to the right and refer to a sidebar about how some question the record. The main story describes the record and the accomplishment and they still nod to the controversy. Very well done.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

And here's an understated one ...

[​IMG]

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Meter is still at 0.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Threadjack: I fucking HATE Bakersfield fronts. Too damn much going on. It gives me cancer.

9. bp6316

bp6316 Member

The fronts were my favorite part of working there. Actually brought some fun to the job again for me. We had talked about the asterisk thing there for years and I figured they would go with the approach of using it as a "refer" to another story.

10. Dave_Wasson

Dave_Wasson New Member

We went with "BONDS DROPS THE HAMMER"

dw

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I know there are some who disagree with it, but here's our headline and subhead, which we've had in the can for about a week.

GIANT ASTERISK
    Controversial Bonds surpasses Aaron as all-time home run leader

1A went with 756! as a huge teaser across the top.

Rip away. Steroids is part of the story, but I can also see the points others have made.

12. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Part of me really wants to get in on putting that as a headline. But it instanly has put your newsroom and sports staff on the side of passing judgment based on speculation. Sure, the headline is good and catchy and will make some stop and read it, but nearly everyone will also now know where your paper stands on the issue. And unless you have a columnist or editorial writer writing the main story and placing the newspaper's stance in it, you should never be using headlines to do that for you. I'm all for your choice of headline if you have a columnist writing the main story that goes with that headline.

It'd be like A1 putting "Retarded moron re-elected president" with the main story after the last election. Sure, we all think it, and Bush being a bit out there is a major part of the story of his re-election, but your newsroom would have no place passing that judgment, that's up to the reader.

Draft saved Draft deleted