1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barnhart takes buyout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Neither is as useful or needed as they used to be. Just because the AJC will continue to exist - and who's to say how long that will be - it's not as relevant as it once was. You can blame outside market forces for the fate of both, but in this case the AJC certainly didn't help itself by letting quality slip away.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Aw, c'mon, Write-brained, you let Drip goad you into explaining a punchline. You're better than that! I think 99.99% of us knew exactly what you meant. Please don't "dumb down." ;)

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I had no idea what he was talking about and he explained himself. There was nothing wrong with that and I thank him for doing so.

4. Mike Knobler

Mike Knobler New Member

The AJC's new lineup suggests to me that its sports coverage will remain "relevant," at least to anybody still looking for excellent reporting and writing on subjects other than pro hockey:

Columnist: Mark Bradley
    Columnist: Terry Moore
    Columnist: Jeff Schultz
    Cover stories: Steve Hummer
    General assignment: Tom Stinson
    Braves: David O'Brien
    Falcons: Steve Wyche
    Hawks: Sekou Smith
    Pro backup: Carroll Rogers
    Destinations (think of page 2 kinds of things): Darryl Maxie
    Georgia beat: Tim Tucker
    Georgia beat: Chip Towers
    Georgia Tech: D. Orlando Ledbetter
    Georgia Tech: Larry Hartstein
    High schools: Michael Carvell
    High schools: Chip Saye
    Thrashers: Mike Knobler
    (I am told that Furman Bisher's columns will continue to appear, as well.)

We have lost a load of reporting and writing talent over the 6 1/2 years I've worked at The AJC (hm, cause and effect?). Some of that talent now stars elsewhere (Mark Schlabach, Craig Custance, Michael Lee, Carlos Frias, for example). Some left the business (Jack Wilkinson is a notable example). Now, we're about to lose more good people (Stan Awtrey, Tony Barnhart, Scott Bernarde, Curtis Bunn, Matt Winkeljohn, plus high schools writer Derrick Mahone, who will be covering Cobb County courts, plus former sports writers Michelle Hiskey and Karen Rosen, who are leaving the news department, and Wendy Parker, who is leaving our online operation).

It would be ridiculous to try to minimize our losses. it would be just as ridiculous to underestimate the "relevance" of what we will produce in the seasons to come.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, other than that hockey thing you guys are OK!

Is two on high schools enough?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is this the only major paper in the country with only one NFL beat writer, or did I miss something?

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'd think Falcons is a big part of "pro backup."

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My bad, I didn't think anybody thought the kind of football the Falcons play was anywhere close to professional...

Still amazing they don't have two full-time football guys, but then again, there is almost no competition...

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Taking Maxie out of the HS mix is a bold step, since he's been covering state/metro ATL schools for a while.
    Is the AJC still going to rely on P/Ters for preps in the surrounding areas? And is there no one to take up the burgeoning golf beat/local colleges in Awtrey's imminent absence?
    Losing Bernarde also means the loss of outdoors coverage, no? Between he and Kent Mitchell, that's a lot of years of outdoors beat.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Where is Darryl Maxie going? And losing Curtis Bunn won't make the situation any better.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Drip, you being new here let me help: 4-5 posts above yours is the answer. You can read the whole thread as you post, with access to everything already on there.

Maxie is doing their Page 2 type of stuff.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I knew about the page two thing with Maxie I was under the impression after reading the post that he was leaving the AJC.

Draft saved Draft deleted