1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, May 20, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw it live once and it about drove me out of the business. Ugly, sad stuff. This was a $100,000 race at the track near here, you knew when this horse hit it was over. People in the stands in tears and it was all I could do to compose myself to do the interviews.

The next day, we get a call at the paper from some whacko who swears the horse would have been fine, that it was put down for the insurance money.
    I lost it.
    "Are you nuts? Were you fucking there? Did you see that horse?"
    I told the track vet about the call and he offered to send the woman the X-rays.

The horse was owned by Fitch. Abercrombie didn't share in this venture. I don't think they needed the insurance money.

2. Moderator1

Shit, if this horse dies I won't need W.C. Heinz' Death of A Racehorse to make me cry like a baby.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

What a gorgeous horse. I didn't get to see much of the Derby leadup or followup, just the actual race, and couldn't really get a good sideways look at him. But he took my breath away before the race today.

Sad, sad day regardless...becomes nearly unbearable if he's gone.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Fracture above and below the ankle. Very touch-and-go.

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

As others have mentioned, the post-race interview with Bernardini's jockey was beyond absurd in its callousness. I realize the woman who conducted it is an ex-jockey, but yikes.

Not only is this tragic, but it's also very bad for the sport she covers. You'd think she'd get it from at least one of those two standpoints, either compassion or $$$$.

I also think their analysts dropped the ball pre-race in not really pointing out just how ominous Barbaro's pre-race anxiety really was. I mean, I know very little about the sport beyond what I've read in Andy Beyer's books, but I do know it's usually not good when a horse is that 'fractious' before a race.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

The most moving/saddest thing I've ever seen in sports was the horse who broke his leg while racing and the jockey who leaped off and held its leg so that the horse wouldn't suffer a fatal injury. I'll never forget that sight, the jockey stroking the horse and weeping into it. It's got me almost teary-eyed just typing it.

I don't like horse racing, I'm not sure it's a sport, but the relationship between jockey and horse is touching beyond words.

Who was the jockey and who was the horse? If I recall correctly, that jockey is no longer with us.

7. Moderator1

It was Chris Antley on Charismatic and the damn horse finished, I believe, THIRD in the Belmont running God knows how long on a bad leg.

Antley indeed died a mysterious death a while back. He was a reformed druggie who apparently relapsed. I think they thought for a while it was a murder and maybe then it turned out he fell? Don't remember those details but you are correct in that he is dead.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It was Charismatic. How he made it that far blows my mind even today.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Antley definitely died under mysterious circumstances. I want to say it looked as if his house had been broken into when he was found dead, but I could be wrong.

10. Incredibly sad. I don't think I've ever seen a race as weird as this one, and I grew up in horse country.
    Barbaro is the story here. But I bet there will still be plenty of papers that have Bernardini winning as the main header.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

If you're looking for something to get your mind off this, there's an "Andy Griffith Show" marathon on TV Land.
    I hope Barbaro is OK.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

For some reason I'm thinking about that ill-fated match race between 1975 Kentucky Derby winner Foolish Pleasure and the filly triple crown winner Ruffian and how badly that ended.

Draft saved Draft deleted