1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, May 20, 2006.

1. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/horse_racing/kentucky_derby/14683315.htm

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw this bumped back and immediately feared the worst.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Saw AP move a story and immediately thought to myself ... wasn't Flag Day something like a month ago?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Close.

So far as we know, Barbaro is OK still?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Glad to see it. I was skeptical.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Apparently not doing as well, now.

Barbaro develops complications
    KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) — Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro has developed “potentially serious” complications to his injured right hind leg, and underwent surgery to replace hardware and treat a new infection.
    Late Saturday, the 3-year-old colt, who shattered his leg at the start of the Preakness on May 20, had the titanium plate and a number of screws replaced after developing discomfort in the leg and a “consistently” high temperature.
    The surgery was performed by Dr. Dean Richardson at the University of Pennsylvania New Bolton Center, where Barbaro has been recovering in the intensive care unit.
    In a statement released Sunday, Richardson emphasized that the complications are “potentially serious.”
    “Barbaro had developed some discomfort and a consistently elevated temperature so we believed it was in his best interest to remove the hardware and thoroughly clean the site of the infection,” Richardson said. “We also applied a longer cast on that leg for additional support.”
    It is the third procedure in less than a week for Barbaro. He had the cast on his injured leg replaced and some new screws inserted Monday, and on Wednesday another new cast was applied. Also, Barbaro is being treated for a small infection on the sole of his uninjured left hind hoof, according to the hospital.
    Richardson said Barbaro’s main fracture is healing well, but the pastern joint — a joint above the hoof — continues to be a concern. The joint was stabilized with “new implants and a fresh bone graft.”
    Barbaro took longer to recover from the anesthesia from this latest procedure, Richardson said. But he said the colt was back in his stall and receiving pain medication, antibiotics and “other supportive care.”
    Barbaro’s owners and trainer continue to visit twice daily, the statement said.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Maybe I'm being naive, but saying "potentially serious" sounds more like they want to get on top of things now before it gets really bad for him.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

EVerytime I see this thread, I think of this guy...

[​IMG]

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I bet Barbaro could hit better than Barbaro Garbey.

Draft saved Draft deleted