1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbaro

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, May 20, 2006.

1. sportsed

sportsed Guest

(claps)
    claps
    Claps
    CLAPS
    STANDINGFUCKINGOVATION

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Admittedly I am not a fan of horseracing--I do think it's abusive on some level, just my opinion--but I really wish they would just put this poor creature out of its misery.

The only reason to keep it alive is for it's breeding value, and I can't imagine the suffering it will endure before it's well enough to breed.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You're kidding, right?

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

This headline blows.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm just thankful I've haven't seen any headlines or heard any talking heads use the word 'snapped.'

As in, Barbaro's winning streak (or triple crown hopes) snapped.

6. SellOut

SellOut Member

I did see some subhead on msnbc that used a pullquote "the kiss of death." read the story and the guy wasn't talking about the injury, but the fact he broke from the gate early.

effing internet editor morons.

7. So how about the food you all eat. They used to be cute, naive innocent little cows and chickens and lambs and fishies. How dare we betray their trust. It is a fucking horse, and one that has lived a more posh life than most human beings on this planet. Cry me a river.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I don't think he'll be fucking anytime soon.

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Again, extremely well said, abe. I'll add that Kendall, Krumrie, Milons, Theismann, Ventura, and all the other humans who have suffered grotesque leg injuries during competition made a conscious decision to compete, knowing the potential risks.

Barbaro did not--that choice was made for him. Would this have happened had he just been running in a meadow on his own? Perhaps. But we'll never know for sure. That's another reason why it's sad.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Did we ever think that maybe this horse is lucky he's racing? The horse gets treated like a king because he wins a bunch of f-in' races.
    This happens in a field while he's pulling a some old-school farm equipment for Farmer_J, they shoot him on the spot. Instead, because he's some magical horse that won some race in Kentucky, some overpaid vet will try to fix him.

11. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

Not only that, but I'm guessing almost everyone on this board has no real attachment to Barbaro, other than TV, radio or the newspapers.

12. Zeek

Zeek Member

If he makes it through the surgery that's all he'll be doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted